Konek Pinoy: A Place where Everybody Cares!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal**GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Daily Gospel

Go down 
+9
Jhoanna
DJ_RyAN
jigs
***JESSICA***
RINGO STARR
jgwapito
Ailou
frenejp30
elyn
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08 2010, 15:06

DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Saturday, 05 June 2010
Saturday of the Ninth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Boniface, Bishop and Martyr (+754) - Memorial

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta : "They have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty"

Second Letter to Timothy 4:1-8.

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who willjudge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingly power: proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching. For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths. But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances; put up with hardship; perform the work of an evangelist; fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance.

Psalms 71(70):8-9.14-15.16-17.22.

My mouth shall be filled with your praise, shall sing your glory every day.
Do not cast me aside in my old age; as my strength fails, do not forsake me.
I will always hope in you and add to all your praise.
My mouth shall proclaim your just deeds, day after day your acts of deliverance, though I cannot number them all.
I will speak of the mighty works of the Lord; O GOD, I will tell of your singular justice.
God, you have taught me from my youth; to this day I proclaim your wondrous deeds.
That I may praise you with the lyre for your faithfulness, my God, And sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 12:38-44.

In the course of his teaching Jesus said, "Beware of the scribes, who like to go around in long robes and accept greetings in the marketplaces, seats of honor in synagogues, and places of honor at banquets. They devour the houses of widows and, as a pretext, recite lengthy prayers. They will receive a very severe condemnation." He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, "Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood."

Copyright ©️ Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997), founder of the Missionary Sisters of Charity
A Simple Path (p.99)

"They have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty"

You must give what will cost you something. This, then, is giving not just what you can live without but what you can't live without or don't want to live without, something you really like. Then your gift becomes a sacrifice, which will have value before God... This is also what I call love in action. Every day I see this love-in children, men, and women.

I was once walking down the street and a beggar came to me and he said, "Mother Teresa, everybody's giving to you, I also want to give to you. Today, for the whole day, I got only twenty-nine paise and I want to give it to you." I thought for a moment: If I take it he will have nothing to eat tonight, and if I don't take it I will hurt him. So I put out my hands and I took the money. I have never seen such joy on anybody's face as I saw on his-that a beggar, he too, could give to Mother Teresa. It was a big sacrifice for that poor man who'd been sitting in the sun all day and had only received twenty-nine paise. It was beautiful: twenty-nine paise is such a small amount and I can get nothing with it, but as he gave it up and I took it, it became like thousands because it was given with so much love.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08 2010, 15:06

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 06 June 2010
The Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi) - Solemnity

The Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ, solemnity
Today the Church celebrates : St. Norbert, Bishop (c.1080-1134)

Saint Thomas Aquinas : “The bread of angels becomes food for pilgrims, true bread of God’s children” (Sequence of the feast)

Book of Genesis 14:18-20.

In those days, Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine, and being a priest of God Most High, he blessed Abram with these words: Blessed be Abram by God Most High, the creator of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your foes into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Psalms 110:1.2.3.4.

A psalm of David. The LORD says to you, my lord: "Take your throne at my righthand, while I make your enemies your footstool."
The scepter of your sovereign might the LORD will extend from Zion. The LORD says: "Rule over your enemies!
Yours is princely power from the day of your birth. In holy splendor before the daystar, like the dew I begot you."
The LORD has sworn and will not waver: "Like Melchizedek you are a priest forever."

First Letter to the Corinthians 11:23-26.

Brothers and sisters: I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:11-17.

Jesus spoke to the crowds about the kingdom of God, and he healed those who needed to be cured. As the day was drawing to a close, the Twelve approached him and said, "Dismiss the crowd so that they can go to the surrounding villages and farms and find lodging and provisions; for we are in a deserted place here." He said to them, "Give them some food yourselves." They replied, "Five loaves and two fish are all we have, unless we ourselves go and buy food for all these people." Now the men there numbered about five thousand. Then he said to his disciples, "Have them sit down in groups of (about) fifty." They did so and made them all sit down. Then taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing over them, broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the crowd. They all ate and were satisfied. And when the leftover fragments were picked up, they filled twelve wicker baskets.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), Dominican theologian, Doctor of the Church
Prayers

“The bread of angels becomes food for pilgrims, true bread of God’s children” (Sequence of the feast)

Almighty and ever-living God, I approach the sacrament of your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. I come sick to the doctor of life, unclean to the fountain of mercy, blind to the radiance of eternal light, and poor and needy to the Lord of heaven and earth.

Lord, in your great generosity, heal my infirmity, wash away my defilement, enlighten my blindness, enrich my poverty, and clothe my nakedness. May I receive the bread of angels (Ps 78:25), the King of kings and Lord of lords (1Tm 6:15), with humble reverence, with the purity and faith, the repentance and love, and the determined purpose that will help to bring me to salvation.

May I receive the sacrament of the Lord's Body and Blood, and its reality and power. Kind God, may I so receive the Body of your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, which was born from the womb of the Virgin Mary, that I be received into his mystical Body and numbered among his members.

Loving Father, as on my earthly pilgrimage I now receive your beloved Son under the veil of a sacrament, may I one day see him Face to face in glory, who lives and reigns with you for ever. Amen.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 07 June 2010
Monday of the Tenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Robert of Newminster (12th century)

Chromacus of Aquilaea : “For while the law was given through Moses, this enduring love came through Jesus Christ.”

1st book of Kings 17:1-6.

Elijah the Tishbite, from Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab: "As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, during these years there shall be no dew or rain except at my word." The LORD then said to Elijah: "Leave here, go east and hide in the Wadi Cherith, east of the Jordan. You shall drink of the stream, and I have commanded ravens to feed you there." So he left and did as the LORD had commanded. He went and remained by the Wadi Cherith, east of the Jordan. Ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the stream.

Psalms 121(120):1-2.3-4.5-6.7-8.

A song of ascents. I raise my eyes toward the mountains. From where will my help come?
My help comes from the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth.
God will not allow your foot to slip; your guardian does not sleep.
Truly, the guardian of Israel never slumbers nor sleeps.
The LORD is your guardian; the LORD is your shade at your righthand.
By day the sun cannot harm you, nor the moon by night.
The LORD will guard you from all evil, will always guard your life.
The LORD will guard your coming and going both now and forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:1-12.

When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him. He began to teach them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Commentary of the day :

Chromacus of Aquilaea (?-407), Bishop
Sermon 39; CCL 9A, 169-170

“For while the law was given through Moses, this enduring love came through Jesus Christ.”

It is good that the new law is proclaimed on a mountaintop, since the law of Moses was given on a mountaintop. The one consists in ten commandments given to form people’s behavior in the present life; the other consists in eight beatitudes, for it leads those who follow it to eternal life and the heavenly homeland.

“Blest are the lowly; they shall inherit the land.” Thus, we must be lowly people, who are peaceful in our souls and sincere in our hearts. The Lord shows clearly that the merit of such people is not small when he says: “They shall inherit the land.” Without doubt, he is talking about the land of which is written: “I believe that I shall see the bounty of the Lord in the land of the living.” (Ps 27:13) The heritage of that land is the immortality of the body and the glory of eternal resurrection. For gentleness knows nothing of pride, of boastfulness, of ambition. And so it is not without reason that the Lord exhorts his disciples saying: “Learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest.” (Mt 11:29)

“Blest are the sorrowing; they shall be consoled.” Not those who sorrow over the loss of what is dear to them, but those who sorrow over their sins, who wash themselves of their faults by means of tears, and without doubt those who sorrow over the iniquity of this world or who lament because of the faults of others.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08 2010, 15:07

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 08 June 2010
Tuesday of the Tenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Medard, Bishop (c.457_545)

Saint Augustine : The light of Christ on its lampstand

1st book of Kings 17:7-16.

After some time, however, the brook ran dry, because no rain had fallen in the land. So the LORD said to him: "Move on to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have designated a widow there to provide for you." He left and went to Zarephath. As he arrived at the entrance of the city, a widow was gathering sticks there; he called out to her, "Please bring me a small cupful of water to drink." She left to get it, and he called out after her, "Please bring along a bit of bread." "As the LORD, your God, lives," she answered, "I have nothing baked; there is only a handful of flour in my jar and a little oil in my jug. Just now I was collecting a couple of sticks, to go in and prepare something for myself and my son; when we have eaten it, we shall die." "Do not be afraid," Elijah said to her. "Go and do as you propose. But first make me a little cake and bring it to me. Then you can prepare something for yourself and your son. For the LORD, the God of Israel, says, 'The jar of flour shall not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, until the day when the LORD sends rain upon the earth.'" She left and did as Elijah had said. She was able to eat for a year, and he and her son as well; The jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, as the LORD had foretold through Elijah.

Psalms 4:2-3.4-5.7-8.

Answer when I call, my saving God. In my troubles, you cleared a way; show me favor; hear my prayer.
How long will you people mock my honor, love what is worthless, chase after lies? Selah
Know that the LORD works wonders for the faithful; the LORD hears when I call out.
Tremble and do not sin; upon your beds ponder in silence.
Many say, "May we see better times! LORD, show us the light of your face!" Selah
But you have given my heart more joy than they have when grain and wine abound.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:13-16.

You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop of Hippo (North Africa) and Doctor of the Church
Sermon 289, 6 ; PL 38, 1311-1312

The light of Christ on its lampstand

Brethren, the apostles are lamps enabling us to wait for the coming of Christ's day. Our Lord tells them: «You are the light of the world.» And since they cannot believe themselves to be a light like that of which it is said: «He was the true light who enlightens everyone» (Jn 1,9), he at once teaches them what that true light is. Having declared to them: «You are the light of the world», he continues: «No one lights a lamp to put it under a bushel basket.» I have called you lights, he says, but I must clarify: you are only lamps. So don't give in to the stirrings of pride if you don't want to see this wick burning out. I'm not putting you under the bushel basket but on the lampstand to cast light over everything with your rays.

What sort of candlestick is this that bears such a light? I will teach you. Be lamps yourselves and you will have a place on this lampstand. Christ's cross is one great lampstand. Whoever wants to shine out should not be ashamed of this wooden candlestick. Listen to me and you will get the point: the candlestick is the cross of Christ...

«So will your light shines before others so that they may see your good works and glorify» Glorify whom? Not yourself since to seek your own glory is to want to be extinguished! «Glorify your heavenly Father.» Yes, that they may glorify him, your heavenly Father when they see your good works... Listen to the apostle Paul: «May I never glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world» (Gal 6,14).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14 2010, 12:22

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 09 June 2010
Wednesday of the Tenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Ephrem of Syria, Deacon (c.306-373)

Catechism of the Catholic Church: The fulfilment of the Law

1st book of Kings 18:20-39.

So Ahab sent to all the Israelites and had the prophets assemble on Mount Carmel. Elijah appealed to all the people and said, "How long will you straddle the issue? If the LORD is God, follow him; if Baal, follow him." The people, however, did not answer him. So Elijah said to the people, "I am the only surviving prophet of the LORD, and there are four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal. Give us two young bulls. Let them choose one, cut it into pieces, and place it on the wood, but start no fire. I shall prepare the other and place it on the wood, but shall start no fire. You shall call on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD. The God who answers with fire is God." All the people answered, "Agreed!" Elijah then said to the prophets of Baal, "Choose one young bull and prepare it first, for there are more of you. Call upon your gods, but do not start the fire." Taking the young bull that was turned over to them, they prepared it and called on Baal from morning to noon, saying, "Answer us, Baal!" But there was no sound, and no one answering. And they hopped around the altar they had prepared. When it was noon, Elijah taunted them: "Call louder, for he is a god and may be meditating, or may have retired, or may be on a journey. Perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened." They called out louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until blood gushed over them. Noon passed and they remained in a prophetic state until es, for the number of tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the LORD had said, "Your name shall be Israel." Then Elijah said to all the people, "Come here to me." When they had done so, he repaired the altar of the LORD which had been destroyed. He took twelve stones, for the number of tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the LORD had said, "Your name shall be Israel." He built an altar in honor of the LORD with the stones, and made a trench around the altar large enough for two seahs of grain. When he had arranged the wood, he cut up the young bull and laid it on the wood. "Fill four jars with water," he said, "and pour it over the holocaust and over the wood." "Do it again," he said, and they did it again. "Do it a third time," he said, and they did it a third time. The water flowed around the altar, and the trench was filled with the water. At the time for offering sacrifice, the prophet Elijah came forward and said, "LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things by your command. Answer me, LORD! Answer me, that this people may know that you, LORD, are God and that you have brought them back to their senses." The LORD'S fire came down and consumed the holocaust, wood, stones, and dust, and it lapped up the water in the trench. Seeing this, all the people fell prostrate and said, "The LORD is God! The LORD is God!"

Psalms 16(15):1-2.4.5.8.11.

A miktam of David. Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge
I say to the Lord, you are my Lord, you are my only good.
They multiply their sorrows who court other gods. Blood libations to them I will not pour out, nor will I take their names upon my lips.
LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you have made my destiny secure.
I keep the LORD always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.
You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:17-19.

Jesus said to his disciples: «Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Commentary of the day :

Catechism of the Catholic Church
§ 577-581 - Copyright ©️ Libreria Editrice Vaticana

The fulfilment of the Law

At the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount Jesus issued a solemn warning in which he presented God's law, given on Sinai during the first covenant, in light of the grace of the New Covenant: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets: I have come not to abolish but to fulfil.”...

Jesus, Israel's Messiah and therefore the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, was to fulfil the Law by keeping it in its all embracing detail - according to his own words, down to "the least of these commandments". He is in fact the only one who could keep it perfectly... The perfect fulfilment of the Law could be the work of none but the divine legislator, born subject to the Law (Ga 3:10) in the person of the Son. In Jesus, the Law no longer appears engraved on tables of stone but "upon the heart" ( Jr 31:33) of the Servant who becomes "a covenant to the people" (Is 42:6), because he will "faithfully bring forth justice" (Is 42:3). Jesus fulfils the Law to the point of taking upon himself "the curse of the Law" (Ga 3:13) incurred by those who do not "abide by the things written in the book of the Law, and do them" (Ga 3:10), for his death took place to redeem them "from the transgressions under the first covenant" (Heb 9:15)...

Jesus taught the people "as one who had authority, and not as their scribes" (Mt 7:29). In him, the same Word of God that had resounded on Mount Sinai to give the written Law to Moses, made itself heard anew on the Mount of the Beatitudes. Jesus did not abolish the Law but fulfilled it by giving its ultimate interpretation in a divine way: "You have heard that it was said to the men of old. . . But I say to you. . ." (Mt 5:33-34). With this same divine authority, he disavowed certain human traditions of the Pharisees that were "making void the word of God" (Mc 7:8.13).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14 2010, 12:23

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 10 June 2010
Thursday of the Tenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Margaret of Scotland, Queen (+ 1093)

Saint Caesarius of Arles : "Go first and be reconciled with your brother"

1st book of Kings 18:41-46.

Elijah then said to Ahab, "Go up, eat and drink, for there is the sound of a heavy rain." So Ahab went up to eat and drink, while Elijah climbed to the top of Carmel, crouched down to the earth, and put his head between his knees. "Climb up and look out to sea," he directed his servant, who went up and looked, but reported, "There is nothing." Seven times he said, "Go look again!" And the seventh time the youth reported, "There is a cloud as small as a man's hand rising from the sea." Elijah said, "Go and say to Ahab, 'Harness up and leave the mountain before the rain stops you.'" In a trice, the sky grew dark with clouds and wind, and a heavy rain fell. Ahab mounted his chariot and made for Jezreel. But the hand of the LORD was on Elijah, who girded up his clothing and ran before Ahab as far as the approaches to Jezreel.

Psalms 65:10.11.12-13.

You visit the earth and water it, make it abundantly fertile. God's stream is filled with water; with it you supply the world with grain. Thus do you prepare the earth:
you drench plowed furrows, and level their ridges. With showers you keep the ground soft, blessing its young sprouts.
You adorn the year with your bounty; your paths drip with fruitful rain.
The untilled meadows also drip; the hills are robed with joy.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:20-26.

I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.' But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, 'Raqa,' will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, 'You fool,' will be liable to fiery Gehenna. Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Caesarius of Arles (470-543), Monk and Bishop

"Go first and be reconciled with your brother"

You know what it is we pray to God before going up to communion: «Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.» So prepare yourselves interiorly to forgive since those are the words you are going to encounter in prayer. How are you going to say them? Are you perhaps not going to say them? In the last resort this is indeed my question: are you going to say those words, yes or no? You hate your brother yet you declare: «Forgive us as we forgive.» You will say: I avoid those words. But in that case, are you really praying? Pay good attention, my brothers. In a short time you are going to pray; forgive with all your hearts!

Do you indeed want to accuse your enemy? First of all accuse your own heart. Say to that heart: «Stop hating»... But then, since you don't want to forgive, your soul is saddened when you say to it: «Stop hating». Well then, answer it: «Why are you so downcast, O my soul? Why do you sigh within me? Hope in God» (Ps 42[41],6). You are uneasy, you sigh, your sickness wounds you, you don't manage to throw off your hatred. Hope in God: that is the remedy. He was hung on the cross for your sake yet without claiming his revenge. As for you, it is your revenge you are looking for since that is the real meaning of your rancor. Look at your God on the cross: it is for your sake he suffers that his blood might become your cure. Do you want to avenge yourself? Look at Christ hanging there, hear him pray: «Father, forgive them for they know not what they do» (Lk 23,34).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14 2010, 12:23

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 11 June 2010
The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus - Solemnity

The Sacred Heart of Jesus, solemnity
Today the Church celebrates : St. Barnabas, Apostle

Blessed John XXIII : 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.'

Book of Ezekiel 34:11-16.

For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself will look after and tend my sheep. As a shepherd tends his flock when he finds himself among his scattered sheep, so will I tend my sheep. I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered when it was cloudy and dark. I will lead them out from among the peoples and gather them from the foreign lands; I will bring them back to their own country and pasture them upon the mountains of Israel (in the land's ravines and all its inhabited places). In good pastures will I pasture them, and on the mountain heights of Israel shall be their grazing ground. There they shall lie down on good grazing ground, and in rich pastures shall they be pastured on the mountains of Israel. I myself will pasture my sheep; I myself will give them rest, says the Lord GOD. The lost I will seek out, the strayed I will bring back, the injured I will bind up, the sick I will heal (but the sleek and the strong I will destroy), shepherding them rightly.

Psalms 23(22):1-3.4.5.6.

A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

Letter to the Romans 5:5-11.

and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us. For Christ, while we were still helpless, yet died at the appointed time for the ungodly. Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. How much more then, since we are now justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath. Indeed, if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more, once reconciled, will we be saved by his life. Not only that, but we also boast of God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 15:3-7.

So to them he addressed this parable. What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed John XXIII (1881-1963), pope
Journal of a soul, 1901-1903

'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.'

I feel that my Jesus is drawing ever closer to me. These last days he has let me fall into the sea and drown in the consideration of my wretchedness and pride so as to make me understand just how much I need him. Just as I am on the verge of being overcome, Jesus, walking on the water, comes smiling to meet me so that I may be saved. With Peter I should like to say to him: «Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man» (Lk 5,8) but I am forestalled by the gentleness of his heart and sweetness of his words: «Fear not» (Lk 5,10).

Ah! Beside you I am not afraid of anything! I snuggle up against you and, like the lost sheep, hear the beating of your heart. Jesus, yet again I am yours, yours for ever. With you I am truly great; without you, nothing but a weak reed; upheld by you, I am a pillar. I must never forget my wretchedness, not so as to be constantly trembling but so that, regardless of my lowliness and confusion, I may, with ever greater confidence, draw close to your heart. For my wretchedness is the throne of your mercy and love.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 12 June 2010
Saturday of the Tenth week in Ordinary Time

Immaculate Heart of Mary, memorial
Today the Church celebrates : St John of St. Fagondez, priest (+ 1479)

Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity : « Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart» (Lk 2,19)

Book of Isaiah 61:9-11.

Their descendants shall be renowned among the nations, and their offspring among the peoples; All who see them shall acknowledge them as a race the LORD has blessed. I rejoice heartily in the LORD, in my God is the joy of my soul; For he has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, Like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem, like a bride bedecked with her jewels. As the earth brings forth its plants, and a garden makes its growth spring up, So will the Lord GOD make justice and praise spring up before all the nations.

1 Sam. 2:1.4-5.6-7.8.

and as she worshiped the LORD, she said: "My heart exults in the LORD, my horn is exalted in my God. I have swallowed up my enemies; I rejoice in my victory.
The bows of the mighty are broken, while the tottering gird on strength.
he well-fed hire themselves out for bread, while the hungry batten on spoil. The barren wife bears seven sons, while the mother of many languishes.
"The LORD puts to death and gives life; he casts down to the nether world; he raises up again.
The LORD makes poor and makes rich, he humbles, he also exalts.
He raises the needy from the dust; from the ash heap he lifts up the poor, To seat them with nobles and make a glorious throne their heritage. He gives to the vower his vow, and blesses the sleep of the just. "For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he has set the world upon them.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 2:41-51.

Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety." And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" But they did not understand what he said to them. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity (1880-1906), Carmelite
Last retreat, 15th day (©️Institute of Carmelite Studies)

« Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart» (Lk 2,19)

"The Virgin kept all these things in her heart." Her whole history can be summed up in these few words! It was within her heart that she lived, and at such a depth that no human eye can follow her. When I read in the Gospel "that Mary set out in haste to the hill country of Judea" (Lk 1,39) to perform her loving service for her cousin Elizabeth, I imagine her passing by so beautiful, so calm and so majestic, so absorbed in recollection of the Word of God within her. Like Him, her prayer was always this: «...Here I am" Who? ''The handmaid of the Lord," (Lk 1,38) the lowliest of His creatures: she, His Mother! Her humility was so real for she was always forgetful, unaware, freed from self. And she could sing: "The Mighty One has done great things for me, from now on all peoples will call me blessed" (Lk 1,49.48).

This Queen of virgins is also Queen of martyrs; but again it was in her heart that the sword pierced, for with her everything took place withinl ... Oh! How beautiful she is to contemplate during her long martyrdom, so serene, enveloped in a kind of majesty that radiates both strength and gentleness! She learned from the Word Himself how those must suffer whom the Father has chosen as victims, those whom He has decided to associate with Himself in the great work of redemption, those whom He "has foreknown and predestined to be conformed to His Christ," (Rom 8,29) crucified by love. She is there at the foot of the Cross, standing, full of strength and courage.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14 2010, 12:24

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 13 June 2010
Eleventh Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Anthony of Padua, Priest and Doctor of the Church (1195-1231)

Saint Ambrose : "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

2nd book of Samuel 12:7-10.13.

Then Nathan said to David: "You are the man! Thus says the LORD God of Israel: 'I anointed you king of Israel. I rescued you from the hand of Saul. I gave you your lord's house and your lord's wives for your own. I gave you the house of Israel and of Judah. And if this were not enough, I could count up for you still more. Why have you spurned the LORD and done evil in his sight? You have cut down Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you took his wife as your own, and him you killed with the sword of the Ammonites. Now, therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah to be your wife.' Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." Nathan answered David: "The LORD on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die.

Psalms 32(31):1-2.5.7.11.

Of David. A maskil. Happy the sinner whose fault is removed, whose sin is forgiven.
Happy those to whom the LORD imputes no guilt, in whose spirit is no deceit.
Then I declared my sin to you; my guilt I did not hide. I said, "I confess my faults to the LORD," and you took away the guilt of my sin. Selah
You are my shelter; from distress you keep me; with safety you ring me round. Selah
Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you just; exult, all you upright of heart.

Letter to the Galatians 2:16.19-21.

(yet) who know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. For through the law I died to the law, that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 7:36-50.8:1-3.

A Pharisee invited him to dine with him, and he entered the Pharisee's house and reclined at table. Now there was a sinful woman in the city who learned that he was at table in the house of the Pharisee. Bringing an alabaster flask of ointment, she stood behind him at his feet weeping and began to bathe his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them, and anointed them with the ointment. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, that she is a sinner." Jesus said to him in reply, "Simon, I have something to say to you." "Tell me, teacher," he said. Two people were in debt to a certain creditor; one owed five hundred days' wages and the other owed fifty. Since they were unable to repay the debt, he forgave it for both. Which of them will love him more?" Simon said in reply, "The one, I suppose, whose larger debt was forgiven." He said to him, "You have judged rightly." Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? When I entered your house, you did not give me water for my feet, but she has bathed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing my feet since the time I entered. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my feet with ointment. So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little." He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." The others at table said to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" But he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace." Afterward he journeyed from one town and village to another, preaching and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, Joanna, the wife of Herod's steward Chuza, Susanna, and many others who provided for them out of their resources.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
On Repentance, II:8

"Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.» (Mt 9:12) Show your wound to the physician, then, that he may heal it. Even if you do not show it, he knows of it but is waiting to hear your voice. Cleanse your wound with your tears. This is what the woman in the Gospel did so as to be freed from sin and its stench: she washed away her guilt when she washed the feet of Jesus with her tears.

O Jesus, may you set aside for me the task of washing those feet of yours that you dirtied while you were walking in me!... But where shall I find that living water with which to wash your feet? If I have no water, I have tears. Grant that, while I wash your feet with them, I may be purifying myself as well. What must I do to hear you say to me; "His many sins are forgiven, because he has loved much"? I confess that my debt is great indeed, and that more has been forgiven me who have been called to the priesthood from the tumult and strife of the law courts and of public administration. Therefore I fear being thought ungrateful if I, to whom more has been forgiven, were to love the less.

I am unable to compare that woman with anyone else at all, she who was so rightly preferred to that Simon the Pharisee who was giving the feast to the Lord. Yet she gave a lesson to all those who desire to gain forgiveness by kissing Christ's feet, washing them with her tears, wiping them with her hair, and anointing them with ointment... And if we are unable to equal her, the Lord Jesus knows how to come to the aid of the weak. Wherever there is no one who can prepare a meal, or bring ointments, or carry a spring of living water (Jn 4:10)along with her, there he comes himself.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14 2010, 12:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 14 June 2010
Monday of the Eleventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Elisha, Prophet (9th century BC)

See commentary below or click here
Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus : "Hand him your cloak as well"

1st book of Kings 21:1-16.

Some time after this, as Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard in Jezreel next to the palace of Ahab, king of Samaria, Ahab said to Naboth, "Give me your vineyard to be my vegetable garden, since it is close by, next to my house. I will give you a better vineyard in exchange, or, if you prefer, I will give you its value in money." "The LORD forbid," Naboth answered him, "that I should give you my ancestral heritage." Ahab went home disturbed and angry at the answer Naboth the Jezreelite had made to him: "I will not give you my ancestral heritage." Lying down on his bed, he turned away from food and would not eat. His wife Jezebel came to him and said to him, "Why are you so angry that you will not eat?" He answered her, "Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, 'Sell me your vineyard, or, if you prefer, I will give you a vineyard in exchange.' But he refused to let me have his vineyard." "A fine ruler over Israel you are indeed!" his wife Jezebel said to him. "Get up. Eat and be cheerful. I will obtain the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite for you." So she wrote letters in Ahab's name and, having sealed them with his seal, sent them to the elders and to the nobles who lived in the same city with Naboth. This is what she wrote in the letters: "Proclaim a fast and set Naboth at the head of the people. Next, get two scoundrels to face him and accuse him of having cursed God and king. Then take him out and stone him to death." His fellow citizens--the elders and the nobles who dwelt in his city--did as Jezebel had ordered them in writing, through the letters she had sent them. They proclaimed a fast and placed Naboth at the head of the people. Two scoundrels came in and confronted him with the accusation, "Naboth has cursed God and king." And they led him out of the city and stoned him to death. Then they sent the information to Jezebel that Naboth had been stoned to death. When Jezebel learned that Naboth had been stoned to death, she said to Ahab, "Go on, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite which he refused to sell you, because Naboth is not alive, but dead." On hearing that Naboth was dead, Ahab started off on his way down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it.

Psalms 5:2-3.5-6.7.

Hear my words, O LORD; listen to my sighing.
Hear my cry for help, my king, my God! To you I pray, O LORD;
You are not a god who delights in evil; no wicked person finds refuge with you;
the arrogant cannot stand before you. You hate all who do evil;
you destroy all who speak falsely. Murderers and deceivers the LORD abhors.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:38-42.

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles. Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus (1873-1897), Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Poems « Vivre d'amour » and « Pourquoi je t'aime, ô Marie » (©️Institute of Carmelite Studies)

"Hand him your cloak as well"

Living on Love is giving without limit
Without claiming any wages here below.
Ah! I give without counting, truly sure
That when one loves, one does not keep count!...
Overflowing with tenderness, I have given everything,
To his Divine Heart... lightly I run.
I have nothing left but my only wealth:
Living on Love.

Living on Love is banishing every fear,
Every memory of past faults.
I see no imprint of my sins.
In a moment, Love has burned everything...
Divine Flame, O sweetest Blaze!
I make my home in your hearth.
In your fire I gladly sing: (cf Dn 3,51)
I live on Love!...»

«Living on Love – what strange folly!»
The world says to me, «Ah! stop your singing,
Don't waste your perfumes, your life.
Learn to use them well...»
Loving you, Jesus, is such fruitful loss!...
All my perfumes are yours forever.
I want to sing on leaving this world:
«I die of Love!»

To love is to give everything. It's to give oneself.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15 2010, 13:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 15 June 2010
Tuesday of the Eleventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : SS. Vitus, Modestus and Crescentia, Martyrs, St Aurelian

Gregory of Narek : "That you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good"

1st book of Kings 21:17-29.

But the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite: "Start down to meet Ahab, king of Israel, who rules in Samaria. He will be in the vineyard of Naboth, of which he has come to take possession. This is what you shall tell him, 'The LORD says: After murdering, do you also take possession? For this, the LORD says: In the place where the dogs licked up the blood of Naboth, the dogs shall lick up your blood, too.'" "Have you found me out, my enemy?" Ahab said to Elijah. "Yes," he answered. "Because you have given yourself up to doing evil in the LORD'S sight, I am bringing evil upon you: I will destroy you and will cut off every male in Ahab's line, whether slave or freeman, in Israel. I will make your house like that of Jeroboam, son of Nebat, and like that of Baasha, son of Ahijah, because of how you have provoked me by leading Israel into sin." (Against Jezebel, too, the LORD declared, "The dogs shall devour Jezebel in the district of Jezreel.") "When one of Ahab's line dies in the city, dogs will devour him; when one of them dies in the field, the birds of the sky will devour him." Indeed, no one gave himself up to the doing of evil in the sight of the LORD as did Ahab, urged on by his wife Jezebel. He became completely abominable by following idols, just as the Amorites had done, whom the LORD drove out before the Israelites. When Ahab heard these words, he tore his garments and put on sackcloth over his bare flesh. He fasted, slept in the sackcloth, and went about subdued. Then the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, "Have you seen that Ahab has humbled himself before me? Since he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his time. I will bring the evil upon his house during the reign of his son."

Psalms 51(50):3-4.5-6.11.16.

Have mercy on me, God, in your goodness; in your abundant compassion blot out my offense.
Wash away all my guilt; from my sin cleanse me.
For I know my offense; my sin is always before me.
Against you alone have I sinned; I have done such evil in your sight That you are just in your sentence, blameless when you condemn.
Turn away your face from my sins; blot out all my guilt.
Rescue me from death, God, my saving God, that my tongue may praise your healing power.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 5:43-48.

You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Commentary of the day :

Gregory of Narek (c.944-1010), Armenian monk and poet
Book of prayers, no.74 (SC 78)

"That you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good"

How many are my debts, beyond all counting,
yet they are not so amazing as your mercy.
Numerous are my sins but yet they are miniscule
by comparison with your forgiveness...

What could a little darkness do
to your divine light?
How can a little bit of shadow
compete with your rays, who are so great!

How could my weak body's earthly desires
be weighed in the balance
with your Passion and cross?

How would the whole world's sins appear
before the eyes of your goodness, O Mighty One?
Behold they are like... a drop of water
swallowed up by the outpouring
of your plentiful rain...

It is you who give sunshine
to both evil and good
and cause rain to fall on both without distinction.

The peacefulness of some is great because they expect their reward;...
but those who preferred earth
you forgive with mercy:
and you give them the medicine of life with the first
in constant expectation of their turning back to you.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:32

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 16 June 2010
Wednesday of the Eleventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. John Francis Regis, Priest (1597-1640)

Saint John of the Cross : "Pray to your Father in secret"

2nd book of Kings 2:1.6-14.

When the LORD was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind, he and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal. Elijah said to Elisha, "Please stay here; the LORD has sent me on to the Jordan." "As the LORD lives, and as you yourself live," Elisha replied, "I will not leave you." And so the two went on together. Fifty of the guild prophets followed, and when the two stopped at the Jordan, stood facing them at a distance. Elijah took his mantle, rolled it up and struck the water, which divided, and both crossed over on dry ground. When they had crossed over, Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask for whatever I may do for you, before I am taken from you." Elisha answered, "May I receive a double portion of your spirit." "You have asked something that is not easy," he replied. "Still, if you see me taken up from you, your wish will be granted; otherwise not." As they walked on conversing, a flaming chariot and flaming horses came between them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. When Elisha saw it happen he cried out, "My father! my father! Israel's chariots and drivers!" But when he could no longer see him, Elisha gripped his own garment and tore it in two. Then he picked up Elijah's mantle which had fallen from him, and went back and stood at the bank of the Jordan. Wielding the mantle which had fallen from Elijah, he struck the water in his turn and said, "Where is the LORD, the God of Elijah?" When Elisha struck the water it divided and he crossed over.

Psalms 31:20.21.24.

How great is your goodness, Lord, stored up for those who fear you. You display it for those who trust you, in the sight of all the people.
You hide them in the shelter of your presence, safe from scheming enemies. You keep them in your abode, safe from plotting tongues.
Love the LORD, all you faithful. The LORD protects the loyal, but repays the arrogant in full.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 6:1-6.16-18.

(But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father. When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you. When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Saint John of the Cross (1542-1591), Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Spiritual Canticle B,1, 8-9 (©Institute of Carmelite Studies)

"Pray to your Father in secret"

What else do you search for outside, O soul!, when within yourself you possess your riches, delights, satisfactions, fullness and kingdom – your Beloved whom you desire and seek?... There is but one difficulty: even though he does abode within you, he is hidden...

Yet you inquire: Since he whom my soul loves is within me, why don't I find him or experience him? The reason is that he remains concealed and you do not also conceal yourself in order to find and experience him. If you want to find a hidden treasure you must enter the hiding place secretly, and once you have discovered it, you will also be hidden just as the treasure is hidden. Since, then, your beloved Bridegroom is the treasure hidden in a field for which the wise merchant sold all his possessions [Mt. 13:44], and that field is your soul, in order to find him you should forget all your possessions and all creatures and hide in the secret inner room of your spirit

There, closing the door behind you (your will to all things), you should «pray to your Father in secret». Remaining hidden with him, you will experience him in hiding, that is, in a way transcending all language and feeling.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:32

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 17 June 2010
Thursday of the Eleventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Herve, Abbot, (6th century)

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger [Pope Benedict XVI]: "This is how you are to pray: Our Father..."

Book of Sirach 48:1-15.

Till like a fire there appeared the prophet whose words were as a flaming furnace. Their staff of bread he shattered, in his zeal he reduced them to straits; By God's word he shut up the heavens and three times brought down fire. How awesome are you, ELIJAH! Whose glory is equal to yours? You brought a dead man back to life from the nether world, by the will of the LORD. You sent kings down to destruction, and nobles, from their beds of sickness. You heard threats at Sinai, at Horeb avenging judgments. You anointed kings who should inflict vengeance, and a prophet as your successor. You were taken aloft in a whirlwind, in a chariot with fiery horses. You are destined, it is written, in time to come to put an end to wrath before the day of the LORD, To turn back the hearts of fathers toward their sons, and to reestablish the tribes of Jacob. Blessed is he who shall have seen you before he dies, O Elijah, enveloped in the whirlwind! Then ELISHA, filled with a twofold portion of his spirit, wrought many marvels by his mere word. During his lifetime he feared no one, nor was any man able to intimidate his will. Nothing was beyond his power; beneath him flesh was brought back into life. In life he performed wonders, and after death, marvelous deeds. Despite all this the people did not repent, nor did they give up their sins, Until they were rooted out of their land and scattered all over the earth. But Judah remained, a tiny people, with its rulers from the house of David.

Psalms 97(96):1-2.3-4.5-6.7.

The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many islands be glad.
Cloud and darkness surround the Lord; justice and right are the foundation of his throne.
Fire goes before him; everywhere it consumes the foes.
Lightning illumines the world; the earth sees and trembles.
The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
The heavens proclaim God's justice; all peoples see his glory.
All who serve idols are put to shame, who glory in worthless things; all gods bow down before you.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 6:7-15.

In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. This is how you are to pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread; and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one. If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.

Commentary of the day :

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger [Pope Benedict XVI]
Der Gott Jesu Christi

"This is how you are to pray: Our Father..."

Without Jesus we cannot know what a «Father» really is. It was in his prayer that it was manifested, and this prayer is intrinsically a part of him. A Jesus who was not continuously immersed in the Father, or not in permanent, intimate communication with him, would be someone wholly different from the Jesus of the Bible and from the authentic, historical Jesus. His life emerges from the central point of his prayer and it was from it that he understood God, the world and human persons...

A new question then arises: was this communication... equally essential to the Father he addresses in such a way that he, too, would be different if he were not prayed to under this name? Or does it simply touch him without entering into him? The answer to this is as follows: it belongs to the Father to say «Son» just as it belongs to Jesus to say «Father». Without this invocation he would not be who he is, either. Jesus does not just have external contact with him; he participates intimately as Son in God's divine nature. Before ever the world was created God was already the Love of the Father and the Son. And if he can be our Father and the measure of all paternity this is because he himself is Father from all eternity. Therefore God's own interiority becomes visible in the prayer of Jesus and we see what God looks like. Faith in the Trinitarian God is nothing other than the explanation of what takes place in Jesus' prayer. In that prayer the Trinity appears in all its clarity...

Thus to be christian means to participate in the prayer of Jesus, entering into his example of life, namely his example of prayer. To be christian means to say «Father» along with him and thus become child, son of God – God! – in the unity of the Spirit who enables us to be ourselves and, in this way, admits us into the unity of God. To be christian means to perceive the world from within this intimate participation and in this way become free, hopeful, resolute, confident.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 18 June 2010
Friday of the Eleventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Elizabeth of Schoenau, St. Gregory Barbarigo, Bishop (1625-1697), Sts. Marcus and Marcellianus, Martyrs (+286)

Saint Basil : "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth"

2nd book of Kings 11:1-4.9-18.20.

When Athaliah, the mother of Ahaziah, saw that her son was dead, she began to kill off the whole royal family. But Jehosheba, daughter of King Jehoram and sister of Ahaziah, took Joash, his son, and spirited him away, along with his nurse, from the bedroom where the princes were about to be slain. She concealed him from Athaliah, and so he did not die. For six years he remained hidden in the temple of the LORD, while Athaliah ruled the land. But in the seventh year, Jehoiada summoned the captains of the Carians and of the guards. He had them come to him in the temple of the LORD, exacted from them a sworn commitment, and then showed them the king's son. The captains did just as Jehoiada the priest commanded. Each one with his men, both those going on duty for the sabbath and those going off duty that week, came to Jehoiada the priest. He gave the captains King David's spears and shields, which were in the temple of the LORD. And the guards, with drawn weapons, lined up from the southern to the northern limit of the enclosure, surrounding the altar and the temple on the king's behalf. Then Jehoiada led out the king's son and put the crown and the insignia upon him. They proclaimed him king and anointed him, clapping their hands and shouting, "Long live the king!" Athaliah heard the noise made by the people, and appeared before them in the temple of the LORD. When she saw the king standing by the pillar, as was the custom, and the captains and trumpeters near him, with all the people of the land rejoicing and blowing trumpets, she tore her garments and cried out, "Treason, treason!" Then Jehoiada the priest instructed the captains in command of the force: "Bring her outside through the ranks. If anyone follows her," he added, "let him die by the sword." He had given orders that she should not be slain in the temple of the LORD. She was led out forcibly to the horse gate of the royal palace, where she was put to death. Then Jehoiada made a covenant between the LORD as one party and the king and the people as the other, by which they would be the LORD'S people; and another covenant, between the king and the people. Thereupon all the people of the land went to the temple of Baal and demolished it. They shattered its altars and images completely, and slew Mattan, the priest of Baal, before the altars. After appointing a detachment for the temple of the LORD, Jehoiada All the people of the land rejoiced and the city was quiet, now that Athaliah had been slain with the sword at the royal palace.

Psalms 132:11.12.13-14.17-18.

The LORD swore an oath to David, a pledge never to be broken: "Your own offspring I will set upon your throne.
If your sons observe my covenant, the laws I shall teach them, Their sons, in turn, shall sit forever on your throne."
Yes, the LORD has chosen Zion, desired it for a dwelling:
"This is my resting place forever; here I will dwell, for I desire it.
There I will make a horn sprout for David's line; I will set a lamp for my anointed.
His foes I will clothe with shame, but on him my crown shall gleam."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 6:19-23.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be. The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light; but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Basil (c.330-379), monk and Bishop of Caesarea in Cappadocia, Doctor of the Church
Sermon on charity: PG 31, 266 - 267; 275

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth"

Why distress yourself and go to such effort to conceal your wealth behind bricks and mortar? «A good name is more desirable than great riches» (Prv 22,1). The reason you love money is because of the attention it wins you. But think how much greater your renown will be if you can be called the father and protector of thousands of children rather than by keeping thousands of gold pieces in your money-bags. Whether you like it or not, one of these days you will have to leave your money there; whereas you will take with you the glory for all the good things you have done before our sovereign Lord, while a whole lot of people, rushing to your defence before the judge of us all, will call out the names that declare you have fed them, helped them, and shown them kindness.

How thankful, happy and proud must you be for the honor shown you: it isn't you who must go to pester others at their door, others will come flocking to your own. Yet right now you are grumpy, you make yourself inaccessible, you run away from encounters for fear of having to let go of a little of what you are so jealously guarding. And you only have one thing to say: «I haven't anything, I won't give you anything, because I am poor.» You are poor indeed, poor of everything good: poor in love, poor in goodness, poor in trust in God, poor in your everlasting expectations.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:33

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 19 June 2010
Saturday of the Eleventh week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Juliana Falconieri (1270-1340), St. Romuald, Abbot (c. 952-1027)

Catechism of the Catholic Church: "Do not worry about your life"

2nd book of Chronicles 24:17-25.

After the death of Jehoiada, the princes of Judah came and paid homage to the king, and the king then listened to them. They forsook the temple of the LORD, the God of their fathers, and began to serve the sacred poles and the idols; and because of this crime of theirs, wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem. Although prophets were sent to them to convert them to the LORD, the people would not listen to their warnings. Then the spirit of God possessed Zechariah, son of Jehoiada the priest. He took his stand above the people and said to them: "God says, 'Why are you transgressing the LORD'S commands, so that you cannot prosper? Because you have abandoned the LORD, he has abandoned you.'" But they conspired against him, and at the king's order they stoned him to death in the court of the LORD'S temple. Thus King Joash was unmindful of the devotion shown him by Jehoiada, Zechariah's father, and slew his son. And as he was dying, he said, "May the LORD see and avenge." At the turn of the year a force of Arameans came up against Joash. They invaded Judah and Jerusalem, did away with all the princes of the people, and sent all their spoil to the king of Damascus. Though the Aramean force came with few men, the LORD surrendered a very large force into their power, because Judah had abandoned the LORD, the God of their fathers. So punishment was meted out to Joash. After the Arameans had departed from him, leaving him in grievous suffering, his servants conspired against him because of the murder of the son of Jehoiada the priest. They killed him on his sickbed. He was buried in the City of David, but not in the tombs of the kings.

Psalms 89(88):4-5.29-30.31-32.33-34.

I have made a covenant with my chosen one; I have sworn to David my servant:
I will make your dynasty stand forever and establish your throne through all ages." Selah
Forever I will maintain my love for him; my covenant with him stands firm.
I will establish his dynasty forever, his throne as the days of the heavens.
If his descendants forsake my law, do not follow my decrees,
If they fail to observe my statutes, do not keep my commandments,
I will punish their crime with a rod and their guilt with lashes.
But I will not take my love from him, nor will I betray my bond of loyalty.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 6:24-34.

No one can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat (or drink), or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?' or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?' All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

Commentary of the day :

§ 302-305

"Do not worry about your life"

Creation has its own goodness and proper perfection, but it did not spring forth complete from the hands of the Creator. the universe was created "in a state of journeying" (in statu viae) toward an ultimate perfection yet to be attained, to which God has destined it. We call "divine providence" the dispositions by which God guides his creation toward this perfection...

The witness of Scripture is unanimous that the solicitude of divine providence is concrete and immediate; God cares for all, from the least things to the great events of the world and its history. The sacred books powerfully affirm God's absolute sovereignty over the course of events: "Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases." and so it is with Christ, "who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens". As the book of Proverbs states: "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will be established."

Jesus asks for childlike abandonment to the providence of our heavenly Father who takes care of his children's smallest needs: "Therefore do not be anxious, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?". . . Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well."

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 20 June 2010
Twelfth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Silverius, Pope and Martyr, (+ 538)

Catechism of the Catholic Church: "He must take up his cross daily and follow me"

Book of Zechariah 12:10-11.13:1.

I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and petition; and they shall look on him whom they have thrust through, and they shall mourn for him as one mourns for an only son, and they shall grieve over him as one grieves over a first-born. On that day the mourning in Jerusalem shall be as great as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the plain of Megiddo. On that day there shall be open to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, a fountain to purify from sin and uncleanness.

Psalms 63:2.3-4.5-6.8-9.

O God, you are my God-- for you I long! For you my body yearns; for you my soul thirsts, Like a land parched, lifeless, and without water.
So I look to you in the sanctuary to see your power and glory.
For your love is better than life; my lips offer you worship!
I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands, calling on your name.
My soul shall savor the rich banquet of praise, with joyous lips my mouth shall honor you!
That you indeed are my help, and in the shadow of your wings I shout for joy.
My soul clings fast to you; your right hand upholds me.

Letter to the Galatians 3:26-29.

For through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendant, heirs according to the promise.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:18-24.

Once when Jesus was praying in solitude, and the disciples were with him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say that I am?" They said in reply, "John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, 'One of the ancient prophets has arisen.'" Then he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter said in reply, "The Messiah of God." He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone. He said, "The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised." Then he said to all, "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

Commentary of the day :

§ 306-308

"He must take up his cross daily and follow me"

God is the sovereign master of his plan. But to carry it out he also makes use of his creatures' co-operation. This use is not a sign of weakness, but rather a token of almighty God's greatness and goodness. For God grants his creatures not only their existence, but also the dignity of acting on their own... and thus of co-operating in the accomplishment of his plan.
To human beings God even gives the power of freely sharing in his providence by entrusting them with the responsibility of "subduing" the earth and having dominion over it. (Gen 1, 26-28) God thus enables men to be intelligent and free causes in order to complete the work of creation, to perfect its harmony for their own good and that of their neighbours. Though often unconscious collaborators with God's will, they can also enter deliberately into the divine plan by their actions, their prayers and their sufferings. They then fully become "God's fellow workers" and co-workers for his kingdom. (1Co 3,9 ; 1Th 3,2)

The truth that God is at work in all the actions of his creatures is inseparable from faith in God the Creator. God is the first cause who operates in and through secondary causes: "For God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." (Ph 2,13).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:34

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 21 June 2010
Monday of the Twelfth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Aloysius Gonzaga (1568-1591) - Memorial

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta : “The measure with which you measure will be used to measure you.”

2nd book of Kings 17:5-8.13-15.18.

For this, the king of Assyria arrested and imprisoned Hoshea; he then occupied the whole land and attacked Samaria, which he besieged for three years. In the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria took Samaria, and deported the Israelites to Assyria, settling them in Halah, at the Habor, a river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes. This came about because the Israelites sinned against the LORD, their God, who had brought them up from the land of Egypt, from under the domination of Pharaoh, king of Egypt, and because they venerated other gods. They followed the rites of the nations whom the LORD had cleared out of the way of the Israelites (and the kings of Israel whom they set up). And though the LORD warned Israel and Judah by every prophet and seer, "Give up your evil ways and keep my commandments and statutes, in accordance with the entire law which I enjoined on your fathers and which I sent you by my servants the prophets," they did not listen, but were as stiff-necked as their fathers, who had not believed in the LORD, their God. They rejected his statutes, the covenant which he had made with their fathers, and the warnings which he had given them. The vanity they pursued, they themselves became: they followed the surrounding nations whom the LORD had commanded them not to imitate. till, in his great anger against Israel, the LORD put them away out of his sight. Only the tribe of Judah was left.

Psalms 60:3.4-5.12-13.

O God, you rejected us, broke our defenses; you were angry but now revive us.
You rocked the earth, split it open; repair the cracks for it totters.
You made your people go through hardship, made us stagger from the wine you gave us.
Was it not you who rejected us, God? Do you no longer march with our armies?
Give us aid against the foe; worthless is human help.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 7:1-5.

Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye.

Commentary of the day :

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997), founder of the Missionary Sisters of Charity
No Greater Joy

“The measure with which you measure will be used to measure you.”

For every illness, there are several medicines and treatments. But so long as there is no gentle hand swift to serve and no generous heart swift to cherish, I don’t think that a person can ever be healed of that terrible illness which is lack of love.

No one among us has the right to condemn anyone. And that even when we see people foundering without understanding why. Does not Jesus invite us not to judge? Perhaps we had a part in making those people the way they are. We have to understand that they are our brothers and our sisters. That leper, that drunkard, that sick person are our brothers because they, too, were created for a greater love. We should never forget this. Jesus Christ himself identifies himself with them when he says: “As often as you did it for one of my least brothers, you did it for me.” (Mt 25:40) And maybe those people are in the street, deprived of all love and of every care, because we refused to give them our love and care, our affection. Be gentle, infinitely gentle towards the poor person who is suffering. We understand so little of what he is going through. The most difficult is not to be accepted.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:34

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 22 June 2010
Tuesday of the Twelfth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Thomas More, Martyr (1478-1535), St. John Fisher, Bishop and Martyr (1459-1535)

Saint Vincent de Paul : "Do to others whatever you would have them do to you"

2nd book of Kings 19:9-11.14-21.31-35.36.

The king of Assyria heard a report that Tirhakah, king of Ethiopia, had come out to fight against him. Again he sent envoys to Hezekiah with this message: "Thus shall you say to Hezekiah, king of Judah: 'Do not let your God on whom you rely deceive you by saying that Jerusalem will not be handed over to the king of Assyria. You have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to all other countries: they doomed them! Will you, then, be saved? Hezekiah took the letter from the hand of the messengers and read it; then he went up to the temple of the LORD, and spreading it out before him, he prayed in the LORD'S presence: "O LORD, God of Israel, enthroned upon the cherubim! You alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made the heavens and the earth. Incline your ear, O LORD, and listen! Open your eyes, O LORD, and see! Hear the words of Sennacherib which he sent to taunt the living God. Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have laid waste the nations and their lands, and cast their gods into the fire; they destroyed them because they were not gods, but the work of human hands, wood and stone. Therefore, O LORD, our God, save us from the power of this man, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone, O LORD, are God." Then Isaiah, son of Amoz, sent this message to Hezekiah: "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, in answer to your prayer for help against Sennacherib, king of Assyria: I have listened! This is the word the LORD has spoken concerning him: " 'She despises you, laughs you to scorn, the virgin daughter Zion! Behind you she wags her head, daughter Jerusalem. For out of Jerusalem shall come a remnant, and from Mount Zion, survivors. The zeal of the LORD of hosts shall do this.' "Therefore, thus says the LORD concerning the king of Assyria: 'He shall not reach this city, nor shoot an arrow at it, nor come before it with a shield, nor cast up siege-works against it. He shall return by the same way he came, without entering the city, says the LORD. I will shield and save this city for my own sake, and for the sake of my servant David.'" That night the angel of the LORD went forth and struck down one hundred and eighty-five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. Early the next morning, there they were, all the corpses of the dead. So Sennacherib, the king of Assyria, broke camp, and went back home to Nineveh.

Psalms 48(47):2-3.4.10-11.

Great is the LORD and highly praised in the city of our God: The holy mountain,
fairest of heights, the joy of all the earth, Mount Zion, the heights of Zaphon, the city of the great king.
God is its citadel, renowned as a stronghold.
O God, within your temple we ponder your steadfast love.
Like your name, O God, your praise reaches the ends of the earth. Your right hand is fully victorious.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 7:6.12-14.

Do not give what is holy to dogs, or throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn and tear you to pieces. Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets. Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Vincent de Paul (1581-1660), Founder of religious communities
Conference of 30/5/1659

"Do to others whatever you would have them do to you"

What is charity's first action? What does a heart moved by it produce? What emerges from it by contrast with someone who lacks it? It is certainly to do to everyone what within reason we would wish to be done to ourselves. In this is charity summed up. Is it true that I do to my neighbor what I myself wish from him? Ah! here there is a great examination of conscience to be done...

Let us consider the Son of God: what a heart of charity, what a flame of love! My Jesus, be pleased to tell us something about what it was that drew you down from heaven to come and suffer earth's misfortune, the many persecutions and torments you received here? O Savior, O source of love, humbled even to us, even to infamous suffering: who has loved their neighbor more than you? You came to expose yourself to all our wretchedness, to take on the form of a sinner, to lead a suffering life and suffer a humiliating death for our sake. Is there any love like this?... There is no one but Our Lord who has been so seized with love for creatures that he abandoned his Father's throne to come and take on a body subject to infirmity.

And why? To establish amongst us, by his example and word, love of neighbor... O friends, if only we had a little of that love would we stand by with our arms folded?... No! charity cannot remain idle. It sets us to work for the healing and comforting of others.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:35

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 23 June 2010
Wednesday of the Twelfth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Etheldreda, abbess (7th century)

Saint Ignatius of Antioch : We shall be known by our fruit

2nd book of Kings 22:8-13.23:1-3.

The high priest Hilkiah informed the scribe Shaphan, "I have found the book of the law in the temple of the LORD." Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, who read it. Then the scribe Shaphan went to the king and reported, "Your servants have smelted down the metals available in the temple and have consigned them to the master workmen in the temple of the LORD." The scribe Shaphan also informed the king that the priest Hilkiah had given him a book, and then read it aloud to the king. When the king had heard the contents of the book of the law, he tore his garments and issued this command to Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, son of Shaphan, Achbor, son of Micaiah, the scribe Shaphan, and the king's servant Asaiah: "Go, consult the LORD for me, for the people, for all Judah, about the stipulations of this book that has been found, for the anger of the LORD has been set furiously ablaze against us, because our fathers did not obey the stipulations of this book, nor fulfill our written obligations." The king then had all the elders of Judah and of Jerusalem summoned together before him. The king went up to the temple of the LORD with all the men of Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem: priests, prophets, and all the people, small and great. He had the entire contents of the book of the covenant that had been found in the temple of the LORD, read out to them. Standing by the column, the king made a covenant before the LORD that they would follow him and observe his ordinances, statutes and decrees with their whole hearts and souls, thus reviving the terms of the covenant which were written in this book. And all the people stood as participants in the covenant.

Psalms 119:33.34.35.36.37.40.

LORD, teach me the way of your laws; I shall observe them with care.
Give me insight to observe your teaching, to keep it with all my heart.
Lead me in the path of your commands, for that is my delight.
Direct my heart toward your decrees and away from unjust gain.
Avert my eyes from what is worthless; by your way give me life.
See how I long for your precepts; in your justice give me life.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 7:15-20.

Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruits you will know them.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ignatius of Antioch (? – around 110), Bishop and Martyr
Letter to the Ephesians, 13-15 (Breviary)

We shall be known by our fruit

Try to gather together more frequently to give thanks to God and to praise him. For when you come together frequently, Satan’s powers are undermined, and the destruction he threatens is done away with in the unanimity of your faith. Nothing is better than peace, in which all warfare between heaven and earth is brought to an end.

None of this will escape you if you have perfect faith and love toward Jesus Christ. These are the beginning and the end of life: faith the beginning, love the end. When these two are found together, there is God, and everything else concerning right living follows from them. No one professing faith sins; no one possessing love hates. “A tree is known by its fruit”. So those who profess to belong to Christ will be known by what they do. For the work we are about is not a matter of words here and now, but depends on the power of faith and on being found faithful to the end.

It is better to remain silent and to be than to talk and not be. Teaching is good if the teacher also acts. Now there was one teacher who “spoke, and it was made” (Ps 33:9), and even what he did in silence is worthy of the Father. He who has the word of Jesus can truly listen also to his silence, in order to be perfect, that he may act through his speech and be known by his silence. Nothing is hidden from the Lord, but even our secrets are close to him. Let us then do everything in the knowledge that he is dwelling within us so that we may be his temples and he may be God within us.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:35

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 24 June 2010
The Nativity of Saint John the Baptist - Solemnity

Today the Church celebrates : The Nativity of St. John the Baptist - Solemnity

Origen : “The Lord called me from birth, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name.” (Isa 49:1)

Book of Isaiah 49:1-6.

Hear me, O islands, listen, O distant peoples. The Lord called me from birth, from my mother's womb he gave me my name. He made of me a sharp-edged sword and concealed me in the shadow of his arm. He made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me. You are my servant, he said to me, Israel, through whom I show my glory. Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength, Yet my reward is with the LORD, my recompense is with my God. For now the LORD has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb, That Jacob may be brought back to him and Israel gathered to him; And I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD, and my God is now my strength! It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

Psalms 139(138):1-3.13-14.15.

For the leader. A psalm of David. I LORD, you have probed me, you know me:
you know when I sit and stand; you understand my thoughts from afar.
My travels and my rest you mark; with all my ways you are familiar.
You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.
I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works! My very self you knew;
my bones were not hidden from you, When I was being made in secret, fashioned as in the depths of the earth.

Acts of the Apostles 13:22-26.

Then he removed him and raised up David as their king; of him he testified, 'I have found David, son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will carry out my every wish.' From this man's descendants God, according to his promise, has brought to Israel a savior, Jesus. John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel; and as John was completing his course, he would say, 'What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. Behold, one is coming after me; I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.' "My brothers, children of the family of Abraham, and those others among you who are God-fearing, to us this word of salvation has been sent.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 1:57-66.80.

When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child she gave birth to a son. Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown his great mercy toward her, and they rejoiced with her. When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child, they were going to call him Zechariah after his father, but his mother said in reply, "No. He will be called John." But they answered her, "There is no one among your relatives who has this name." So they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called. He asked for a tablet and wrote, "John is his name," and all were amazed. Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God. Then fear came upon all their neighbors, and all these matters were discussed throughout the hill country of Judea. All who heard these things took them to heart, saying, "What, then, will this child be?" For surely the hand of the Lord was with him. The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the desert until the day of his manifestation to Israel.

Commentary of the day :

Origen (c.185-253), priest and theologian
Homilies on St. Luke, no. 4, 4-6

“The Lord called me from birth, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name.” (Isa 49:1)

The birth of John the Baptist is full of miracles. An archangel announced the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus; similarly, an archangel announced the birth of John (Lk 1:13) and said: “He will be filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother’s womb.” The Jewish people did not see that our Lord did “signs and wonders” and healed their illnesses, but John leapt for joy when he was still in his mother’s womb. It was impossible to hold him back, and when the mother of Jesus arrived, the child already tried to come out of Elizabeth’s womb. “The moment your greeting sounded in my ears, the baby leapt in my womb for joy.” (Lk 1:44) Still in his mother’s womb, John had already received the Holy Spirit…

Scripture then says: “Many of the sons of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God.” (Lk 1:16) John brought back “a large number”; the Lord brought back not a large number but everyone. For it is his task to bring all men back to God the Father…

I for my part think that the mystery of John is being fulfilled in the world until the present. The spirit and the power of John must first fill the soul of whoever is destined to believe in Christ Jesus, “to prepare for the Lord a people well-disposed” (Lk 1:17) and to “make ready the way of the Lord, [to] clear him a straight path” (Lk 3:5) in the roughness of their heart. Not only at that time were “the windings … made straight and the rough ways smooth”; rather, the spirit and the power of John still go before the Lord and Savior’s coming today. Oh greatness of the Lord’s mystery and of his plan for the world!

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 25 June 2010
Friday of the Twelfth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. William of Vercelli (of Monte-Vergine), Abbot (+ 1142)

Saint Symeon the New Theologian : "Jesus touched him, and said, 'I will do it. Be made clean' "

2nd book of Kings 25:1-12.

In the tenth month of the ninth year of Zedekiah's reign, on the tenth day of the month, Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and his whole army advanced against Jerusalem, encamped around it, and built siege walls on every side. The siege of the city continued until the eleventh year of Zedekiah. On the ninth day of the fourth month, when famine had gripped the city, and the people had no more bread, the city walls were breached. Then the king and all the soldiers left the city by night through the gate between the two walls which was near the king's garden. Since the Chaldeans had the city surrounded, they went in the direction of the Arabah. But the Chaldean army pursued the king and overtook him in the desert near Jericho, abandoned by his whole army. The king was therefore arrested and brought to Riblah to the king of Babylon, who pronounced sentence on him. He had Zedekiah's sons slain before his eyes. Then he blinded Zedekiah, bound him with fetters, and had him brought to Babylon. On the seventh day of the fifth month (this was in the nineteenth year of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon), Nebuzaradan, captain of the bodyguard, came to Jerusalem as the representative of the king of Babylon. He burned the house of the LORD, the palace of the king, and all the houses of Jerusalem; every large building was destroyed by fire. Then the Chaldean troops who were with the captain of the guard tore down the walls that surrounded Jerusalem. Then Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, led into exile the last of the people remaining in the city, and those who had deserted to the king of Babylon, and the last of the artisans. But some of the country's poor, Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, left behind as vinedressers and farmers.

Psalms 137(136):1-2.3.4-5.6.

By the rivers of Babylon we sat mourning and weeping when we remembered Zion.
On the poplars of that land we hung up our harps.
There our captors asked us for the words of a song; Our tormentors, for a joyful song: "Sing for us a song of Zion!"
But how could we sing a song of the LORD in a foreign land?
If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand wither.
May my tongue stick to my palate if I do not remember you, If I do not exalt Jerusalem beyond all my delights.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:1-4.

When Jesus came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him. And then a leper approached, did him homage, and said, "Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean." He stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, "I will do it. Be made clean." His leprosy was cleansed immediately. Then Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one, but go show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses prescribed; that will be proof for them."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Symeon the New Theologian (c.949-1022), Greek monk
Hymn 30

"Jesus touched him, and said, 'I will do it. Be made clean' "

« Jésus le toucha et lui dit : ' Je le veux ; sois purifié ' »
Until there shone the light divine
I knew not myself.
Then, seeing myself in darkness and the dungeon,
Caught in the mire, covered with muck,
Wounded, bloated...,
I fell at the feet of the one who had enlightened me,
and he who had enlightened me
touched my bonds and injuries
with his hands.
Where his hand touched and his finger drew near
At once my bonds fell from me,
My wounds and all my uncleanness disappeared.
My fleshly filth vanished...
So as to become like his divine hand.
What an extraordinary marvel:
My flesh, soul and body,
Have a share in divine glory!

No sooner was I purified, freed from my bonds,
Than he appeared who held out to me his divine hand.
He drew me out completely from the mire,
Embraced and hugged me,
Covering me with kisses (Lk 15,20).
And I who had been altogether spent
And had lost my strength,
he took upon his shoulders (Lk 15,5),
and carried me away from my tortures...

It was light that bore me away, upholding me,
drawing me towards a great light...
It enabled me to contemplate by what mysterious refashioning
he himself had formed me once again (Gn 2,7),
snatching me away from corruption.
He granted me the gift of life immortal
and clothed me with a garment, insubstantial and shining,
giving me sandals, a ring and a crown,
incorruptible and everlasting (Lk 15,22).

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:36

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 26 June 2010
Saturday of the Twelfth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer - Priest, Founder of Opus Dei - (1902-1975), Bl. Jacques Ghazir Haddad, Priest and Founder of Congragation (1875-1954)

Saint John Chrysostom : “He cured all who were afflicted.”

Book of Lamentations 2:2.10-14.18-19.

The Lord has consumed without pity all the dwellings of Jacob; He has torn down in his anger the fortresses of daughter Judah; He has brought to the ground in dishonor her king and her princes. On the ground in silence sit the old men of daughter Zion; They strew dust on their heads and gird themselves with sackcloth; The maidens of Jerusalem bow their heads to the ground. Worn out from weeping are my eyes, within me all is in ferment; My gall is poured out on the ground because of the downfall of the daughter of my people, As child and infant faint away in the open spaces of the town. They ask their mothers, "Where is the cereal?"--in vain, As they faint away like the wounded in the streets of the city, And breathe their last in their mothers' arms. To what can I liken or compare you, O daughter Jerusalem? What example can I show you for your comfort, virgin daughter Zion? For great as the sea is your downfall; who can heal you? Your prophets had for you false and specious visions; They did not lay bare your guilt, to avert your fate; They beheld for you in vision false and misleading portents. Cry out to the Lord; moan, O daughter Zion! Let your tears flow like a torrent day and night; Let there be no respite for you, no repose for your eyes. Rise up, shrill in the night, at the beginning of every watch; Pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your little ones (Who faint from hunger at the corner of every street).

Psalms 74(73):1-2.3-5.6-7.20-21.

A maskil of Asaph. I Why, God, have you cast us off forever? Why does your anger burn against the sheep of your pasture?
Remember your flock that you gathered of old, the tribe you redeemed as your very own. Remember Mount Zion where you dwell.
Turn your steps toward the utter ruins, toward the sanctuary devastated by the enemy.
Your foes roared triumphantly in your shrine; they set up their own tokens of victory.
They hacked away like foresters gathering boughs, swinging their axes in a thicket of trees.
They smashed all your engraved work, pounded it with hammer and pick.
They set your sanctuary on fire; the abode of your name they razed and profaned.
Look to your covenant, for the land is filled with gloom; the pastures, with violence.
Let not the oppressed turn back in shame; may the poor and needy praise your name.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:5-17.

When he entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully." He said to him, "I will come and cure him." The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed. For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it." When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven, but the children of the kingdom will be driven out into the outer darkness, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth." And Jesus said to the centurion, "You may go; as you have believed, let it be done for you." And at that very hour (his) servant was healed. Jesus entered the house of Peter, and saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. He touched her hand, the fever left her, and she rose and waited on him. When it was evening, they brought him many who were possessed by demons, and he drove out the spirits by a word and cured all the sick, to fulfill what had been said by Isaiah the prophet: "He took away our infirmities and bore our diseases."

Commentary of the day :

Saint John Chrysostom (c.345-407), priest at Antioch then Bishop of Constantinople, Doctor of the Church

“He cured all who were afflicted.”

“As evening drew on, they brought him many who were possessed. He expelled the spirits by a simple command and cured all who were afflicted.” Do you see how the crowd’s faith gradually grew? In spite of the late hour, they did not want to leave the Lord; they thought that in the evening it would be possible to bring him those who were afflicted. Think of the many healings of which the evangelists don’t speak. They don’t tell us about all of them, one by one; rather, in a single sentence, they let us see an infinite ocean of miracles. So that the greatness of the marvel doesn’t lead us to incredulity, so that people aren’t troubled at the thought of such a crowd who are struck with so many varying ills and all healed in one instant, the gospel brings the testimony of the prophet, which is as extraordinary and as surprising as the deeds themselves: “…thereby fulfilling what had been said through Isaiah the prophet: ‘It was our infirmities he bore, our sufferings he endured.’” (Lk 8:17; Isa 53:4) It does not say “he destroyed”, but “he bore” and “he endured”, thus showing, in my opinion, that the prophet was speaking more of sin than of bodily illnesses. And that is in conformity with John’s words: “There is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (Jn 1:29)

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:36

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 27 June 2010
Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Today the Church celebrates : St. Cyril of Alexandria, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (+ 444)

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] : “Follow me”

1st book of Kings 19:16.19-21.

Then you shall anoint Jehu, son of Nimshi, as king of Israel, and Elisha, son of Shaphat of Abel-meholah, as prophet to succeed you. Elijah set out, and came upon Elisha, son of Shaphat, as he was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen; he was following the twelfth. Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak over him. Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and said, "Please, let me kiss my father and mother good-bye, and I will follow you." "Go back!" Elijah answered. "Have I done anything to you?" Elisha left him and, taking the yoke of oxen, slaughtered them; he used the plowing equipment for fuel to boil their flesh, and gave it to his people to eat. Then he left and followed Elijah as his attendant.

Psalms 16(15):1-2.5.7-8.9-10.11.

A miktam of David. Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge
I say to the Lord, you are my Lord, you are my only good.
LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you have made my destiny secure.
I bless the LORD who counsels me; even at night my heart exhorts me.
I keep the LORD always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure,
For you will not abandon me to Sheol, nor let your faithful servant see the pit.
You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.

Letter to the Galatians 5:1.13-18.

For freedom Christ set us free; so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery. For you were called for freedom, brothers. But do not use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh; rather, serve one another through love. For the whole law is fulfilled in one statement, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." But if you go on biting and devouring one another, beware that you are not consumed by one another. I say, then: live by the Spirit and you will certainly not gratify the desire of the flesh. For the flesh has desires against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you may not do what you want. But if you are guided by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 9:51-62.

When the days for his being taken up were fulfilled, he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem, and he sent messengers ahead of him. On the way they entered a Samaritan village to prepare for his reception there, but they would not welcome him because the destination of his journey was Jerusalem. When the disciples James and John saw this they asked, "Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven to consume them?" Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they journeyed to another village. As they were proceeding on their journey someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." And to another he said, "Follow me." But he replied, "(Lord,) let me go first and bury my father." But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." And another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home." (To him) Jesus said, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross [Edith Stein] (1891-1942), Carmelite, martyr, co-patron of Europe
Meditation for the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross

“Follow me”

The Savior preceded us on the path of poverty. All the possessions of heaven and earth belonged to him. They presented for him no danger; he could make use of them while keeping his heart completely free. But he knew that it is almost impossible for a human being to have possessions without subjecting ourselves to them and becoming a slave. That is why he gave up everything and so showed us by his example even more than by his words that only the one who possesses nothing possesses everything. His birth in a stable and his flight to Egypt already showed that the Son of the Man had nowhere to rest his head. Whoever wants to follow him must know that we have here below no permanent dwelling. The more deeply we become aware of it, the more ardently we shall aim towards our future dwelling, and we shall exult in the thought that we will find our home in heaven.

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:39

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 28 June 2010
Monday of the Thirteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Irenaeus, Bishop and Martyr (+ 202) - Memorial

Saint Clare : "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."

Book of Amos 2:6-10.13-16.

Thus says the LORD: For three crimes of Israel, and for four, I will not revoke my word; Because they sell the just man for silver, and the poor man for a pair of sandals. They trample the heads of the weak into the dust of the earth, and force the lowly out of the way. Son and father go to the same prostitute, profaning my holy name. Upon garments taken in pledge they recline beside any altar; And the wine of those who have been fined they drink in the house of their god. Yet it was I who destroyed the Amorites before them, who were as tall as the cedars, and as strong as the oak trees. I destroyed their fruit above, and their roots beneath. It was I who brought you up from the land of Egypt, and who led you through the desert for forty years, to occupy the land of the Amorites: Beware, I will crush you into the ground as a wagon crushes when laden with sheaves. Flight shall perish from the swift, and the strong man shall not retain his strength; The warrior shall not save his life, nor the bowman stand his ground; The swift of foot shall not escape, nor the horseman save his life. And the most stouthearted of warriors shall flee naked on that day, says the LORD.

Psalms 50(49):16-17.18-19.20-21.22-23.

But to the wicked God says: "Why do you recite my commandments and profess my covenant with your lips?
You hate discipline; you cast my words behind you!
When you see thieves, you befriend them; with adulterers you throw in your lot.
You give your mouth free rein for evil; you harness your tongue to deceit.
You sit maligning your own kin, slandering the child of your own mother.
When you do these things should I be silent? Or do you think that I am like you? I accuse you, I lay the charge before you.
"Understand this, you who forget God, lest I attack you with no one to rescue.
Those who offer praise as a sacrifice honor me; to the obedient I will show the salvation of God."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:18-22.

When Jesus saw a crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side. A scribe approached and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus answered him, "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head." Another of (his) disciples said to him, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father." But Jesus answered him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Clare (1193-1252), Franciscan nun
1st letter to Agnes of Prague, §15-23 (©Classics of Western Spirituality; cf SC 325)

"Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."

O blessed poverty, who bestows eternal riches on those who love and embrace her! O holy poverty, to those who possess and desire you God promises the kingdom of heaven and offers, indeed, eternal glory and blessed life! O God-centered poverty, whom the Lord Jesus Christ who ruled and now rules heaven and earth, «Who spoke and things were made,» (Ps 33[32],9) condescended to embrace before all else! «The foxes have dens,» he says, «and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man,» Christ, «has nowhere to lay His head» (Mt 8:20), but «but bowing his head, gave up his spirit» (Jn 19:30).

If so great and good a Lord, then, on coming into the Virgin's womb, chose to appear despised, needy, and poor in this world, so that people who were in utter poverty and want and in absolute need of heavenly nourishment might become rich in him by possessing the kingdom of heaven, then rejoice and be glad! Be filled with a remarkable happiness and a spiritual joy! Contempt of the world has pleased you more than [its] honors, poverty more than earthly riches, and you have sought to store up greater treasure in heaven rather than on earth, «where rust does not consume nor moth destroy nor thieves break in and steal» (Mt 6:20). «Your reward,» then, «is very great in heaven» (Mt 5:12)!

Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30 2010, 12:39

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 29 June 2010
Saint Peter and Saint Paul, apostles - Solemnity

Today the Church celebrates : Saints Peter and Paul - Solemnity

Saint Aelred of Rielvaux : "Upon this rock I will build my church"

Acts of the Apostles 12:1-11.

About that time King Herod laid hands upon some members of the church to harm them. He had James, the brother of John, killed by the sword, and when he saw that this was pleasing to the Jews he proceeded to arrest Peter also. (It was (the) feast of Unleavened Bread.) He had him taken into custody and put in prison under the guard of four squads of four soldiers each. He intended to bring him before the people after Passover. Peter thus was being kept in prison, but prayer by the church was fervently being made to God on his behalf. On the very night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter, secured by double chains, was sleeping between two soldiers, while outside the door guards kept watch on the prison. Suddenly the angel of the Lord stood by him and a light shone in the cell. He tapped Peter on the side and awakened him, saying, "Get up quickly." The chains fell from his wrists. The angel said to him, "Put on your belt and your sandals." He did so. Then he said to him, "Put on your cloak and follow me." So he followed him out, not realizing that what was happening through the angel was real; he thought he was seeing a vision. They passed the first guard, then the second, and came to the iron gate leading out to the city, which opened for them by itself. They emerged and made their way down an alley, and suddenly the angel left him. Then Peter recovered his senses and said, "Now I know for certain that (the) Lord sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people had been expecting."

Psalms 34(33):2-3.4-5.6-7.8-9.

I will bless the LORD at all times; praise shall be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the LORD that the poor may hear and be glad.
Magnify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, who answered me, delivered me from all my fears.
Look to God that you may be radiant with joy and your faces may not blush for shame.
In my misfortune I called, the LORD heard and saved me from all distress.
The angel of the LORD, who encamps with them, delivers all who fear God.
Learn to savor how good the LORD is; happy are those who take refuge in him.

Second Letter to Timothy 4:6-8.17-18.

For I am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance. But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was rescued from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil threat and will bring me safe to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 16:13-19.

When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" They replied, "Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Aelred of Rielvaux (1110-1167), Cistercian monk
Sermon 16, for the feast of Saints Peter and Paul ; PL 195, 298-302

"Upon this rock I will build my church"

Pillars of the earth (Ps 75[74],4): this is what the apostles are, but those whose feast we celebrate in the first place. They are the two pillars who support the Church by their teaching and prayer and example of steadfastness. It was the Lord himself who set up these two pillars. To begin with they were weak and unable to support either themselves or anyone else. And in this the Lord's great plan was made manifest: for if they had always been strong then one might have thought their strength came from themselves. And so, before he strengthened them, our Lord wanted to show what they were capable of so that everyone would know their strength came from God.

It was the Lord who set up these pillars of the earth, that is to say, of the Holy Church. And hence we are heartily to extol our holy fathers who underwent so many sufferings for the Lord and who persevered with such strength. To persevere in times of joy, prosperity and patience is nothing. But this is what greatness is: when one is stoned, lashed, beaten for Christ's sake and one perseveres with Christ in spite of it (2Cor 11,25). With Paul it is greatness to be cursed and to bless..., to be like the world's rubbish and make it our glory (1Cor 4, 12-13)... And what shall we say about Peter? Even if he had not endured anything for Christ, yet he suffered that we might celebrate him because today he was crucified for him. The cross was his way.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
Page 14 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next