Konek Pinoy: A Place where Everybody Cares!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal**GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Daily Gospel

Go down 
+9
Jhoanna
DJ_RyAN
jigs
***JESSICA***
RINGO STARR
jgwapito
Ailou
frenejp30
elyn
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

Date Joined : 2009-02-17

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21 2009, 17:08

DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68

Tuesday, 21 July 2009
Tuesday of the Sixteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Lawrence of Brindisi, Priest and Doctor of the Church (1559-1619)

Vatican Council II: "Whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother"

Book of Exodus 14:21-31.15:1.

Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the LORD swept the sea with a strong east wind throughout the night and so turned it into dry land. When the water was thus divided, the Israelites marched into the midst of the sea on dry land, with the water like a wall to their right and to their left. The Egyptians followed in pursuit; all Pharaoh's horses and chariots and charioteers went after them right into the midst of the sea. In the night watch just before dawn the LORD cast through the column of the fiery cloud upon the Egyptian force a glance that threw it into a panic; and he so clogged their chariot wheels that they could hardly drive. With that the Egyptians sounded the retreat before Israel, because the LORD was fighting for them against the Egyptians. Then the LORD told Moses, "Stretch out your hand over the sea, that the water may flow back upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots and their charioteers." So Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and at dawn the sea flowed back to its normal depth. The Egyptians were fleeing head on toward the sea, when the LORD hurled them into its midst. As the water flowed back, it covered the chariots and the charioteers of Pharaoh's whole army which had followed the Israelites into the sea. Not a single one of them escaped. But the Israelites had marched on dry land through the midst of the sea, with the water like a wall to their right and to their left. Thus the LORD saved Israel on that day from the power of the Egyptians. When Israel saw the Egyptians lying dead on the seashore and beheld the great power that the LORD had shown against the Egyptians, they feared the LORD and believed in him and in his servant Moses. Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD: I will sing to the LORD, for he is gloriously triumphant; horse and chariot he has cast into the sea.

Ex. 15:8-9.10.12.17.

At a breath of your anger the waters piled up, the flowing waters stood like a mound, the flood waters congealed in the midst of the sea.
The enemy boasted, "I will pursue and overtake them; I will divide the spoils and have my fill of them; I will draw my sword; my hand shall despoil them!"
When your wind blew, the sea covered them; like lead they sank in the mighty waters.
when you stretched out your right hand, the earth swallowed them!
And you brought them in and planted them on the mountain of your inheritance-- the place where you made your seat, O LORD, the sanctuary, O LORD, which your hands established.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 12:46-50.

While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers appeared outside, wishing to speak with him. (Someone told him, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, asking to speak with you.") But he said in reply to the one who told him, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother."

Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Vatican Council II
Dogmatic Constitution on the Church « Lumen gentium » §61-62 (©Libreria Vaticana editrice)

"Whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother"

Predestined from eternity by that decree of divine providence which determined the incarnation of the Word to be the Mother of God, the Blessed Virgin was in this earth the virgin Mother of the Redeemer, and above all others and in a singular way the generous associate and humble handmaid of the Lord. She conceived, brought forth and nourished Christ. she presented Him to the Father in the temple, and was united with Him by compassion as He died on the Cross. In this singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope and burning charity in the work of the Saviour in giving back supernatural life to souls. Wherefore she is our mother in the order of grace.

This maternity of Mary in the order of grace... lasts until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this salvific duty, but by her constant intercession continued to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation. By her maternal charity, she cares for the brethren of her Son, who still journey on earth surrounded by dangers and cultics, until they are led into the happiness of their true home. Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked by the Church under the titles of Advocate, Auxiliatrix, Adjutrix, and Mediatrix...

For no creature could ever be counted as equal with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer. Just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by the ministers and by the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is really communicated in different ways to His creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source.

Last edited by elyn on Sun Nov 27 2011, 19:39; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-and-Emotions/133316206720969
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22 2009, 10:29

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 22 July 2009
Saint Mary Magdalene - Memorial

Today the Church celebrates : St. Mary Magdalene

Saint Romanos Melodios : Mary Magdalene, apostle to the apostles

Second Letter to the Corinthians 5:14-17.

For the love of Christ impels us, once we have come to the conviction that one died for all; therefore, all have died. He indeed died for all, so that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. Consequently, from now on we regard no one according to the flesh; even if we once knew Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know him so no longer. So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come.

Psalms 63:2.3-4.5-6.8-9.

O God, you are my God-- for you I long! For you my body yearns; for you my soul thirsts, Like a land parched, lifeless, and without water.
So I look to you in the sanctuary to see your power and glory.
For your love is better than life; my lips offer you worship!
I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands, calling on your name.
My soul shall savor the rich banquet of praise, with joyous lips my mouth shall honor you!
That you indeed are my help, and in the shadow of your wings I shout for joy.
My soul clings fast to you; your right hand upholds me.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 20:1-2.11-18.

On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them, "They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we don't know where they put him." But Mary stayed outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb and saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at the feet where the body of Jesus had been. And they said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "They have taken my Lord, and I don't know where they laid him." When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there, but did not know it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?" She thought it was the gardener and said to him, "Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him." Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni," which means Teacher. Jesus said to her, "Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, 'I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" Mary of Magdala went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and what he told her.

Copyright ©️ Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB

Commentary of the day :

Saint Romanos Melodios (?-c.560), composer of hymns
1st. Hymn on the Resurrection (SC 128, p.385f.)

Mary Magdalene, apostle to the apostles

According to the account given by Saint John the Theologian, the women bringing the spices sent Mary Magdalene ahead to the tomb. It was dark, but love gave her light. Thus she saw the large stone rolled away from the entrance to the tomb and returned saying: «Disciples, do you know what I saw? The stone is no longer covering the tomb. Could they have taken away my Lord? There are no guards in sight; they have fled. Could he have risen, he who brings resurrection to fallen humankind?»...

He who sees all, seeing Magdalene overcome with sobbing and weighed down by sorrow, was touched to the heart ... He who tests our innards and our heart, knowing that Mary would recognize his voice, called his little sheep - he, the true shepherd. «Mary», he said, and immediately, she recognized him. «It really is my shepherd who is calling me so that from now on he may count me among the ninety-nine sheep. I know well who it is who is calling me. I said to him: It is my Lord; it is he who brings resurrection to fallen humankind»...

The Lord said to her: «Woman, may your mouth henceforth proclaim these marvels and explain them to the children of the Kingdom who are waiting for me, the Living One, to awaken. Go quickly, Mary, gather together my disciples...; awake them all as if from sleep so they may come to meet me with torches alight. Go, tell them: the Bridegroom has awakened, he is coming out of his tomb... Apostles, drive away your mortal sorrow, for the one who brings resurrection to fallen humankind is awake...»

«Suddenly my mourning is transformed into rejoicing, everything has become joy and gladness for me. I say without wavering: I have received the same glory as Moses. I have seen - yes, I have seen! - not on the mountain, but in the tomb; not veiled with a cloud, but in my body: I have seen the Lord of all things incorporeal and their hosts, the one who is, who was, and who is to come. It is he who told me: Make haste, Mary, go to those who love me and reveal that I have risen. Carry the good news to the descendants of Noah as the dove carried them the olive branch (Gen 8:11). Tell them death has been destroyed, and he who brings resurrection to fallen humankind has risen from the tomb.»
Back to top Go down
frenejp30
Konek Adviser
 Konek Adviser
frenejp30

Date Joined : 2008-03-13

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22 2009, 18:46

aba, up to date ka sa mga readings ng misa. maraming salamat
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26 2009, 11:49

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 26 July 2009
Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Sts. Joachim & Anne, Parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary - memorial

Saint Hilary : "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world"

2nd book of Kings 4:42-44.

A man came from Baal-shalishah bringing the man of God twenty barely loaves made from the first fruits, and fresh grain in the ear. "Give it to the people to eat," Elisha said. But his servant objected, "How can I set this before a hundred men?" "Give it to the people to eat," Elisha insisted. "For thus says the LORD, 'They shall eat and there shall be some left over.'" And when they had eaten, there was some left over, as the LORD had said.

Psalms 145(144):10-11.15-16. 17-18.

All your works give you thanks, O LORD and your faithful bless you.
They speak of the glory of your reign and tell of your great works,
The eyes of all look hopefully to you; you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing.
You, LORD, are just in all your ways, faithful in all your works.
You, LORD, are near to all who call upon you, to all who call upon you in truth.

Letter to the Ephesians 4:1-6.

I, then, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 6:1-15.

After this, Jesus went across the Sea of Galilee (of Tiberias). A large crowd followed him, because they saw the signs he was performing on the sick. Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. The Jewish feast of Passover was near. When Jesus raised his eyes and saw that a large crowd was coming to him, he said to Philip, "Where can we buy enough food for them to eat?" He said this to test him, because he himself knew what he was going to do. Philip answered him, "Two hundred days' wages worth of food would not be enough for each of them to have a little (bit)." One of his disciples, Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, said to him, There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish; but what good are these for so many? Jesus said, "Have the people recline." Now there was a great deal of grass in that place. So the men reclined, about five thousand in number. Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed them to those who were reclining, and also as much of the fish as they wanted. When they had had their fill, he said to his disciples, "Gather the fragments left over, so that nothing will be wasted." So they collected them, and filled twelve wicker baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves that had been more than they could eat. When the people saw the sign he had done, they said, "This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world." Since Jesus knew that they were going to come and carry him off to make him king, he withdrew again to the mountain alone.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Saint Matthew's Gospel, 14, 11; PL 9, 999 (cf. SC 258, p.23)

"This is truly the Prophet, the one who is to come into the world"

The disciples say that they have only five loaves and two fish. The five loaves signified that they were still subject to the five books of the Law and the two fish that they were fed by the teachings of the prophets and John the Baptist... This was what the apostles had to offer to begin with since this was the point they were at; and it was from this point that the preaching of the Gospel began...

Our Lord took the loaves and the fish. He raised his eyes to heaven, said the blessing and broke them. He gave thanks to the Father because the Good News was being changed into food after centuries of the Law and the prophets... The loaves were then given to the apostles: it was at their hands that the gifts of divine grace were to be handed out. Then the people were fed with the five loaves and two fish and, when those who were invited were satisfied, the leftovers of bread and fish were so plentiful that twelve baskets were filled with them. What this means is that the crowd was filled with God's word coming from the teaching of the Law and the prophets. But it is an abundance of divine power, kept aside for the gentiles, that overflows after the provision of the food that lasts forever. It comes to its full complement, that of the number twelve, the same as the number of the apostles. Now, it happens that the number of those who ate is the same as that of those who would come to believe: five thousand men (Mt 14,21; Acts 4,4).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27 2009, 10:36

DAILY GOSPEL

«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.»
---John 6,68

Monday, 27 July 2009
Monday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Blessed Antonio Lucci, St Pantaleon, Martyr (+ c. 303)

Saint Macarius : "Until the whole batch was leavened"

Book of Exodus 32:15-24.30- 34.

Moses then turned and came down the mountain with the two tablets of the commandments in his hands, tablets that were written on both sides, front and back; tablets that were made by God, having inscriptions on them that were engraved by God himself. Now, when Joshua heard the noise of the people shouting, he said to Moses, "That sounds like a battle in the camp." But Moses answered, "It does not sound like cries of victory, nor does it sound like cries of defeat; the sounds that I hear are cries of revelry." As he drew near the camp, he saw the calf and the dancing. With that, Moses' wrath flared up, so that he threw the tablets down and broke them on the base of the mountain. Taking the calf they had made, he fused it in the fire and then ground it down to powder, which he scattered on the water and made the Israelites drink. Moses asked Aaron, "What did this people ever do to you that you should lead them into so grave a sin?" Aaron replied, "Let not my lord be angry. You know well enough how prone the people are to evil. They said to me, 'Make us a god to be our leader; as for the man Moses who brought us out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has happened to him.' So I told them, 'Let anyone who has gold jewelry take it off.' They gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and this calf came out." On the next day Moses said to the people, "You have committed a grave sin. I will go up to the LORD, then; perhaps I may be able to make atonement for your sin." So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Ah, this people has indeed committed a grave sin in making a god of gold for themselves! If you would only forgive their sin! If you will not, then strike me out of the book that you have written." The LORD answered, "Him only who has sinned against me will I strike out of my book. Now, go and lead the people whither I have told you. My angel will go before you. When it is time for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin."

Psalms 106(105):19-20.21-22. 23.

At Horeb they fashioned a calf, worshiped a metal statue.
They exchanged their glorious God for the image of a grass-eating bull.
They forgot the God who saved them, who did great deeds in Egypt,
Amazing deeds in the land of Ham, fearsome deeds at the Red Sea.
He would have decreed their destruction, had not Moses, the chosen leader, Withstood him in the breach to turn back his destroying anger.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:31-35.

He proposed another parable to them. "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a person took and sowed in a field. It is the smallest of all the seeds, yet when full-grown it is the largest of plants. It becomes a large bush, and the 'birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.'" He spoke to them another parable. "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed with three measures of wheat flour until the whole batch was leavened." All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables. He spoke to them only in parables, to fulfill what had been said through the prophet: "I will open my mouth in parables, I will announce what has lain hidden from the foundation (of the world)."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Macarius (?-405), monk in Egypt
Homily n°24

"Until the whole batch was leavened"

Ever since Adam's transgression the soul's thoughts have been scattered far away from the love of God towards the present world, and they have been mingled up with thoughts about material, earthly things. For Adam, because of his transgression, received within himself the leaven of evil tendencies and so, by participation, everyone descended from him and all his race have had a share in that leaven. Then these evil tendencies grew and spread among men until they reached the point of all kinds of disorderliness. In the end, the whole of humankind was steeped in the leaven of malice...

Correspondingly, during his stay on earth, our Lord truly desired to suffer on behalf of all, redeem them with his own blood and insert the heavenly leaven of his own goodness into believing souls, crushed beneath the yoke of sin. He wanted very much to bring to perfection in them the righteousness of the commandments and all the virtues until, leavened all through, they would be united in what is good and would form «one single spirit with the Lord», in Paul's words (1Cor 6,17). Souls completely penetrated by the leaven of the Holy Spirit cannot even think of evil and malice, as it is written: «Charity does not think of wrongdoing» (cf.1Cor 13,5-6). Without this heavenly leaven, in other words, the power of the Holy Spirit, it is impossible for the soul to be kneaded by the Lord's sweetness and attain the life that is true.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28 2009, 14:10

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 28 July 2009
Tuesday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Sts. Nazarius and Celsus, Martyrs (1st century)

Catechism of the Catholic Church: « I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church»

Book of Exodus 33:7-11.34:5- 9.28.

The tent, which was called the meeting tent, Moses used to pitch at some distance away, outside the camp. Anyone who wished to consult the LORD would go to this meeting tent outside the camp. Whenever Moses went out to the tent, the people would all rise and stand at the entrance of their own tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. As Moses entered the tent, the column of cloud would come down and stand at its entrance while the LORD spoke with Moses. On seeing the column of cloud stand at the entrance of the tent, all the people would rise and worship at the entrance of their own tents. The LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as one man speaks to another. Moses would then return to the camp, but his young assistant, Joshua, son of Nun, would not move out of the tent. Having come down in a cloud, the LORD stood with him there and proclaimed his name, "LORD." Thus the LORD passed before him and cried out, "The LORD, the LORD, a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger and rich in kindness and fidelity, continuing his kindness for a thousand generations, and forgiving wickedness and crime and sin; yet not declaring the guilty guiltless, but punishing children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generation for their fathers' wickedness!" Moses at once bowed down to the ground in worship. Then he said, "If I find favor with you, O Lord, do come along in our company. This is indeed a stiff-necked people; yet pardon our wickedness and sins, and receive us as your own." So Moses stayed there with the LORD for forty days and forty nights, without eating any food or drinking any water, and he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Psalms 103(102):6-7.8-9.10- 11.12-13.

The LORD does righteous deeds, brings justice to all the oppressed.
His ways were revealed to Moses, mighty deeds to the people of Israel.
Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger, abounding in kindness.
God does not always rebuke, nurses no lasting anger,
Has not dealt with us as our sins merit, nor requited us as our deeds deserve.
As the heavens tower over the earth, so God's love towers over the faithful.
As far as the east is from the west, so far have our sins been removed from us.
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on the faithful.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:36-43.

Then, dismissing the crowds, he went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, "Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field." He said in reply, "He who sows good seed is the Son of Man, the field is the world, the good seed the children of the kingdom. The weeds are the children of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. Just as weeds are collected and burned (up) with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear.

Commentary of the day :

Catechism of the Catholic Church
§ 823 – 827

« I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church»

"The Church . . . is held, as a matter of faith, to be unfailingly holy. This is because Christ, the Son of God, who with the Father and the Spirit is hailed as «alone holy,» loved the Church as his Bride, giving himself up for her so as to sanctify her; he joined her to himself as his body and endowed her with the gift of the Holy Spirit for the glory of God." The Church, then, is "the holy People of God," and her members are called "saints" (Lumen Gentium, 39,12; 1Cor 6,1)... Through Christ and with him the Church becomes sanctifying. .. It is in her that "by the grace of God we acquire holiness"... In her members perfect holiness is something yet to be acquired...

"Christ, 'holy, innocent, and undefiled,' knew nothing of sin, but came only to expiate the sins of the people. The Church, however, clasping sinners to her bosom, at once holy and always in need of purification, follows constantly the path of penance and renewal" (LG 42). All members of the Church, including her ministers, must acknowledge that they are sinners. In everyone, the weeds of sin will still be mixed with the good wheat of the Gospel until the end of time.

Hence the Church gathers sinners already caught up in Christ's salvation but still on the way to holiness: «The Church is therefore holy, though having sinners in her midst, because she herself has no other life but the life of grace. If they live her life, her members are sanctified; if they move away from her life, they fall into sins and disorders that prevent the radiation of her sanctity. This is why she suffers and does penance for those offenses, of which she has the power to free her children through the blood of Christ and the gift of the Holy Spirit.»
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02 2009, 11:46

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 29 July 2009
St. Martha, Memorial

Today the Church celebrates : St. Martha, Memorial

First Letter of John 4:7-16.

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.
Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love.
In this way the love of God was revealed to us: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might have life through him.

In this is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another.
No one has ever seen God. Yet, if we love one another, God remains in us, and his love is brought to perfection in us.

This is how we know that we remain in him and he in us, that he has given us of his Spirit.
Moreover, we have seen and testify that the Father sent his Son as savior of the world.
Whoever acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God remains in him and he in God.
We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.

Psalms 33(32):2-11.

Give thanks to the LORD on the harp; on the ten-stringed lyre offer praise.
Sing to God a new song; skillfully play with joyful chant.
For the LORD'S word is true; all his works are trustworthy.
The LORD loves justice and right and fills the earth with goodness.
By the LORD'S word the heavens were made; by the breath of his mouth all their host.
The waters of the sea were gathered as in a bowl; in cellars the deep was confined.
Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all who dwell in the world show reverence.
For he spoke, and it came to be, commanded, and it stood in place.
The LORD foils the plan of nations, frustrates the designs of peoples.
But the plan of the LORD stands forever, wise designs through all generations.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 11:19-27.
And many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them about their brother.
When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went to meet him; but Mary sat at home.
Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
(But) even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you."
Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise."
Martha said to him, "I know he will rise, in the resurrection on the last day."
Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
She said to him, "Yes, Lord. I have come to believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world."

Commentary of the day : Saint Francis de Sales

Saint Francis de Sales (1567-1622), Bishop of Geneva and Doctor of the Church
Introduction to the devout life, III, 19 (trans. John Ryan)

« Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus » (Jn 11,5)[/b]

Love everyone with a great, charitable love, but have no friendship except for those that communicate with you in the things of virtue. The more exquisite the virtues that are the matter of your communications, the more perfect shall your friendship also be. If this communication be in the sciences, the friendship is certainly very commendable; but still more so if it be in virtues, in prudence, discretion, fortitude, and justice. Should your mutual and reciprocal communications relate to charity, devotion, and Christian perfection, 0 God, how precious will this friendship be! It will be excellent, because it comes from God; excellent, because it tends to God; excellent because its very bond is God; excellent, because it shall last eternally in God. Oh, how good it is to love on earth as they love in heaven; and to learn to cherish one another in this world as we shall do eternally in the next!

I speak not here of that simple love of charity which we must have for all, but of that spiritual friendship, by which two, three or more souls communicate one to another their devotion and spiritual affections, and make themselves have but one spirit. Such happy souls may justly sing: "Behold how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!" (Ps 133[132],1)... I consider all other friendships as but so many shadows in comparison with this... For Christians dwelling in the world it is necessary to unite themselves together by a holy and sacred friendship. By this means they encourage, assist and conduct one another to good deeds... Surely no one can deny that our lord loved Saint John, Lazarus, Martha, and Magdalene with a more sweet and most special friendship, for the Scripture tells us so.

Last edited by elyn_tada on Sun Aug 02 2009, 12:40; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02 2009, 11:57

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 30 July 2009
Thursday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Peter Chrysologus, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (c. 400-c.450)

Book of Exodus 40:16-21.34-38.

Moses did exactly as the LORD had commanded him.
On the first day of the first month of the second year the Dwelling was erected.
It was Moses who erected the Dwelling. He placed its pedestals, set up its boards, put in its bars, and set up its columns.
He spread the tent over the Dwelling and put the covering on top of the tent, as the LORD had commanded him.
He took the commandments and put them in the ark; he placed poles alongside the ark and set the propitiatory upon it.
He brought the ark into the Dwelling and hung the curtain veil, thus screening off the ark of the commandments, as the LORD had commanded him.
Then the cloud covered the meeting tent, and the glory of the LORD filled the Dwelling.
Moses could not enter the meeting tent, because the cloud settled down upon it and the glory of the LORD filled the Dwelling.
Whenever the cloud rose from the Dwelling, the Israelites would set out on their journey.
But if the cloud did not lift, they would not go forward; only when it lifted did they go forward.
In the daytime the cloud of the LORD was seen over the Dwelling; whereas at night, fire was seen in the cloud by the whole house of Israel in all the stages of their journey.

Psalms 84:3.4.5-6.8.11.

My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the LORD. My heart and flesh cry out for the living God.
As the sparrow finds a home and the swallow a nest to settle her young, My home is by your altars, LORD of hosts, my king and my God!
Happy are those who dwell in your house! They never cease to praise you. Selah
Happy are those who find refuge in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrim roads.
They pass through outer and inner wall and see the God of gods on Zion.
Better one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. Better the threshold of the house of my God than a home in the tents of the wicked.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:47-53.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind.
When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away.
Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous
and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
Do you understand all these things? They answered, "Yes."
And he replied, "Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old."
When Jesus finished these parables, he went away from there.

Commentary of the day : Pope Benedict XVI
"They haul it ashore"

With death, our life-choice becomes definitive—our life stands before the judge. Our choice, which in the course of an entire life takes on a certain shape, can have a variety of forms. There can be people who have totally destroyed their desire for truth and readiness to love, people for whom everything has become a lie, people who have lived for hatred and have suppressed all love within themselves. This is a terrifying thought, but alarming profiles of this type can be seen in certain figures of our own history. In such people all would be beyond remedy and the destruction of good would be irrevocable: this is what we mean by the word Hell.

On the other hand there can be people who are utterly pure, completely permeated by God, and thus fully open to their neighbours—people for whom communion with God even now gives direction to their entire being and whose journey towards God only brings to fulfilment what they already are.
Yet we know from experience that neither case is normal in human life. For the great majority of people—we may suppose—there remains in the depths of their being an ultimate interior openness to truth, to love, to God. In the concrete choices of life, however, it is covered over by ever new compromises with evil... What happens to such individuals when they appear before the Judge? Will all the impurity they have amassed through life suddenly cease to matter?... Saint Paul, in his First Letter to the Corinthians, gives us an idea of the differing impact of God's judgement according to each person's particular circumstances...: «Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each man's work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire» (1 Cor 3:12-15).

Last edited by elyn_tada on Sun Aug 02 2009, 12:44; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02 2009, 12:03

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 31 July 2009
Friday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Ignatius of Loyola, Priest (1491-1556)

Book of Leviticus 23:1.4-11.15-16.27.34-37.

The LORD said to Moses,
"These, then, are the festivals of the LORD which you shall celebrate at their proper time with a sacred assembly.
The Passover of the LORD falls on the fourteenth day of the first month, at the evening twilight.
The fifteenth day of this month is the LORD'S feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
On the first of these days you shall hold a sacred assembly and do no sort of work.
On each of the seven days you shall offer an oblation to the LORD. Then on the seventh day you shall again hold a sacred assembly and do no sort of work."
The LORD said to Moses,
"Speak to the Israelites and tell them: When you come into the land which I am giving you, and reap your harvest, you shall bring a sheaf of the first fruits of your harvest to the priest,
who shall wave the sheaf before the LORD that it may be acceptable for you. On the day after the sabbath the priest shall do this.
"Beginning with the day after the sabbath, the day on which you bring the wave-offering sheaf, you shall count seven full weeks,
and then on the day after the seventh week, the fiftieth day, you shall present the new cereal offering to the LORD.
"The tenth of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement, when you shall hold a sacred assembly and mortify yourselves and offer an oblation to the LORD.
"Tell the Israelites: The fifteenth day of this seventh month is the LORD'S feast of Booths, which shall continue for seven days.
On the first day there shall be a sacred assembly, and you shall do no sort of work.
For seven days you shall offer an oblation to the LORD, and on the eighth day you shall again hold a sacred assembly and offer an oblation to the LORD. On that solemn closing you shall do no sort of work.
"These, therefore, are the festivals of the LORD on which you shall proclaim a sacred assembly, and offer as an oblation to the LORD holocausts and cereal offerings, sacrifices and libations, as prescribed for each day,

Psalms 81(80):3-4.5-6.10-11.

Take up a melody, sound the timbrel, the sweet-sounding harp and lyre.
Blow the trumpet at the new moon, at the full moon, on our solemn feast.
For this is a law in Israel, an edict of the God of Jacob,
Who made it a decree for Joseph when he came out of the land of Egypt. II I hear a new oracle:
There must be no foreign god among you; you must not worship an alien god.
I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you up from the land of Egypt. Open wide your mouth that I may fill it.'

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:54-58.
He came to his native place and taught the people in their synagogue. They were astonished and said, "Where did this man get such wisdom and mighty deeds?
Is he not the carpenter's son? Is not his mother named Mary and his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas?
Are not his sisters all with us? Where did this man get all this?"
And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and in his own house."
And he did not work many mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith.

Commentary of the day : Pope Benedict XVI
"Because of their lack of faith"

Some recent theologians are of the opinion that the fire which both burns and saves is Christ himself, the Judge and Saviour. The encounter with him is the decisive act of judgement. Before his gaze all falsehood melts away. This encounter with him, as it burns us, transforms and frees us, allowing us to become truly ourselves. All that we build during our lives can prove to be mere straw, pure bluster, and it collapses. Yet in the pain of this encounter, when the impurity and sickness of our lives become evident to us, there lies salvation. His gaze, the touch of his heart heals us through an undeniably painful transformation «as through fire». But it is a blessed pain, in which the holy power of his love sears through us like a flame, enabling us to become totally ourselves and thus totally of God.

In this way the inter-relation between justice and grace also becomes clear: the way we live our lives is not immaterial, but our defilement does not stain us for ever if we have at least continued to reach out towards Christ, towards truth and towards love. Indeed, it has already been burned away through Christ's Passion. At the moment of judgement we experience and we absorb the overwhelming power of his love over all the evil in the world and in ourselves. The pain of love becomes our salvation and our joy.

Last edited by elyn_tada on Sun Aug 02 2009, 12:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02 2009, 12:19

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 01 August 2009
Saturday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Alphonsus Liguori, bishop and Doctor of the Church (1696-1787)

Book of Leviticus 25:1.8-17.

The LORD said to Moses on Mount Sinai,
"Seven weeks of years shall you count--seven times seven years--so that the seven cycles amount to forty-nine years.
Then, on the tenth day of the seventh month let the trumpet resound; on this, the Day of Atonement, the trumpet blast shall re-echo throughout your land.
This fiftieth year you shall make sacred by proclaiming liberty in the land for all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you, when every one of you shall return to his own property, every one to his own family estate.
In this fiftieth year, your year of jubilee, you shall not sow, nor shall you reap the aftergrowth or pick the grapes from the untrimmed vines.
Since this is the jubilee, which shall be sacred for you, you may not eat of its produce, except as taken directly from the field.

"In this year of jubilee, then, every one of you shall return to his own property.
Therefore, when you sell any land to your neighbor or buy any from him, do not deal unfairly.

On the basis of the number of years since the last jubilee shall you purchase the land from him; and so also, on the basis of the number of years for crops, shall he sell it to you.
When the years are many, the price shall be so much the more; when the years are few, the price shall be so much the less. For it is really the number of crops that he sells you.
Do not deal unfairly, then; but stand in fear of your God. I, the LORD, am your God.

Psalms 67(66):2-3.5.7-8.

May God be gracious to us and bless us; may God's face shine upon us. Selah
So shall your rule be known upon the earth, your saving power among all the nations.
May the nations be glad and shout for joy; for you govern the peoples justly, you guide the nations upon the earth. Selah
The earth has yielded its harvest; God, our God, blesses us.
May God bless us still; that the ends of the earth may revere our God.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 14:1-12.
At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the reputation of Jesus
and said to his servants, "This man is John the Baptist. He has been raised from the dead; that is why mighty powers are at work in him."
Now Herod had arrested John, bound (him), and put him in prison on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip,
for John had said to him, "It is not lawful for you to have her."
Although he wanted to kill him, he feared the people, for they regarded him as a prophet.
But at a birthday celebration for Herod, the daughter of Herodias performed a dance before the guests and delighted Herod
so much that he swore to give her whatever she might ask for.
Prompted by her mother, she said, "Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist."
The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests who were present, he ordered that it be given,
and he had John beheaded in the prison.
His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who took it to her mother.
His disciples came and took away the corpse and buried him; and they went and told Jesus.

Commentary of the day : Diadochus of Photike
«Whoever hate his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life» (Jn 12,25)

Whoever loves his own life (Jn 12,25) cannot be loving God, but whoever does not cling to himself as a result of divine love's overflowing gifts is the one who loves God. Such a one never seeks their own glory but God's, for whoever loves his own life is seeking his own glory. Whoever binds himself to God loves the glory of his Creator. And indeed, it is the characteristic of souls sensitive to God's love that they continually seek God's glory in carrying out the commandments and take pleasure in their own lowliness. For glory belongs to God because of his greatness, and lowliness belongs to man because it makes of him God's friend. If this is the way we behave then we will rejoice after Saint John the Baptist's example and will start saying over and over again: «He must increase; I must decrease» (Jn 3,30).

Last edited by elyn_tada on Sun Aug 02 2009, 12:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02 2009, 12:36

AILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 02 August 2009
Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Book of Exodus 16:2-4.12-15.

Here in the desert the whole Israelite community grumbled against Moses and Aaron.
The Israelites said to them, "Would that we had died at the LORD'S hand in the land of Egypt, as we sat by our fleshpots and ate our fill of bread! But you had to lead us into this desert to make the whole community die of famine!"
Then the LORD said to Moses, "I will now rain down bread from heaven for you. Each day the people are to go out and gather their daily portion; thus will I test them, to see whether they follow my instructions or not.
"I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them: In the evening twilight you shall eat flesh, and in the morning you shall have your fill of bread, so that you may know that I, the LORD, am your God."
In the evening quail came up and covered the camp. In the morning a dew lay all about the camp,
and when the dew evaporated, there on the surface of the desert were fine flakes like hoarfrost on the ground.
On seeing it, the Israelites asked one another, "What is this?" for they did not know what it was. But Moses told them, "This is the bread which the LORD has given you to eat.

Psalms 78(77):3-4.23-24.25.54.
We have heard them, we know them; our ancestors have recited them to us.
We do not keep them from our children; we recite them to the next generation, The praiseworthy and mighty deeds of the LORD, the wonders that he performed.
So he commanded the skies above; the doors of heaven he opened.
God rained manna upon them for food; bread from heaven he gave them.
All ate a meal fit for heroes; food he sent in abundance.
He brought them to his holy land, the mountain his right hand had won.

Letter to the Ephesians 4:17.20-24.
So I declare and testify in the Lord that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds;
That is not how you learned Christ,
assuming that you have heard of him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus,
that you should put away the old self of your former way of life, corrupted through deceitful desires,
and be renewed in the spirit of your minds,
and put on the new self, created in God's way in righteousness and holiness of truth.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 6:24-35.
When the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into boats and came to Capernaum looking for Jesus.
And when they found him across the sea they said to him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?"
Jesus answered them and said, "Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled.
Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal."
So they said to him, "What can we do to accomplish the works of God?"
Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent."
So they said to him, "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?
Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"
So Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."
So they said to him, "Sir, give us this bread always."
Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.

Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time : Jn 6,24-35
Commentary of the day
Guigo II the Carthusian (?-1188), prior of the Grande Chartreuse
Meditation 10 (SC 163, p. 181 rev.)

«Give us this bread always»

The soul's bread is Christ, «the living bread that came down from heaven» (Jn 6,51) who gives food to his own, by faith here and by vision in the world to come. For Christ dwells in you by faith and faith in Christ is Christ in your heart (Eph 3,17). The measure of your faith in Christ is the measure of your possession of him.

Truly Christ is a single loaf, for there is «one Lord, one faith» (Eph 4,5) for all believers, even though some receive more, others less of the gift of that same faith... Just as truth is one, one faith in that only truth guides and nourishes all the faithful and «one and the same Spirit distributes his gifts as he wishes» (1Cor 12,11).

And so we all live by the same bread, each of us receiving our share, and yet Christ is wholly there for all of us, except those who rend our unity... In this gift I have received I possess Christ wholly and Christ wholly possesses me just as the member belonging to the whole body likewise possesses the body in its entirety. And so this portion of faith you have received as your share is like the morsel of bread in your mouth. But unless you often devoutly meditate over what you believe, unless you chew over it, so to speak, moving it about and turning it over with your teeth, that is to say with your spiritual senses, it will never enter your throat, in other words it won't get as far as your understanding. For indeed, how could you understand anything that you reflect over only rarely and carelessly, especially when it concerns something subtle and unseen?... So, by means of meditation, let «the Law of the Lord be ever on your lips» (Ex 13,9) so that a sound understanding may be brought to birth within you. Through a good understanding spiritual food passes into your heart so that you will not neglect what you have understood but will lovingly reflect over it.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04 2009, 09:37

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 03 August 2009
Monday of the Eighteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Lydia

Saint Romanos Melodios : "They all ate and were satisfied"

Book of Numbers 11:4-15.

The foreign elements among them were so greedy for meat that even the Israelites lamented again, "Would that we had meat for food! We remember the fish we used to eat without cost in Egypt, and the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic. But now we are famished; we see nothing before us but this manna." Manna was like coriander seed and had the appearance of bdellium. When they had gone about and gathered it up, the people would grind it between millstones or pound it in a mortar, then cook it in a pot and make it into loaves, which tasted like cakes made with oil. At night, when the dew fell upon the camp, the manna also fell. When Moses heard the people, family after family, crying at the entrance of their tents, so that the LORD became very angry, he was grieved. "Why do you treat your servant so badly?" Moses asked the LORD. "Why are you so displeased with me that you burden me with all this people? Was it I who conceived all this people? or was it I who gave them birth, that you tell me to carry them at my bosom, like a foster father carrying an infant, to the land you have promised under oath to their fathers? Where can I get meat to give to all this people? For they are crying to me, 'Give us meat for our food.' I cannot carry all this people by myself, for they are too heavy for me. If this is the way you will deal with me, then please do me the favor of killing me at once, so that I need no longer face this distress."

Psalms 81(80):12-13.14-15.16-17.

But my people did not listen to my words; Israel did not obey me.
So I gave them over to hardness of heart; they followed their own designs.
But even now if my people would listen, if Israel would walk in my paths,
In a moment I would subdue their foes, against their enemies unleash my hand.
Those who hate the LORD would tremble, their doom sealed forever.
But Israel I would feed with the finest wheat, satisfy them with honey from the rock."

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 14:13-21.

When Jesus heard of it, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick. When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said, "This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves." (Jesus) said to them, "There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves." But they said to him, "Five loaves and two fish are all we have here." Then he said, "Bring them here to me," and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over --twelve wicker baskets full. Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Romanos Melodios (?-c 560), composer of hymns
Hymn 24, « The multiplication of the loaves» (SC 114, p. 117f.)

"They all ate and were satisfied"

Seeing that day was speeding on towards its setting, the apostles of the Redeemer hastened to find him, calling: «Lord, day is almost over and all these people are faint with hunger but, as you know, this is a desert place. Send them away before nightfall so that they can buy bread in the villages. For these people here are not able to fast as we do; to us you have given the strength for it, for you are the heavenly bread of everlasting life.

«You are the great Savior of the world by nature and have taught us all understanding; by feeding these people with your words of truth you have directed humankind on the way of salvation by granting them knowledge of righteousness. Their souls have been spiritually nourished but now they need to take care of their bodies... Send them away because we are very anxious... You have taught your disciples to have compassion for all, for you are the heavenly bread of everlasting life...»

When Christ heard these words, he replied: «You are mistaken because you do not know that I am the world's Creator. Yet I watch over the world; I well know what these people here have need of; I am well aware of the desert place and the setting sun but it is I who determined the sun's course. I know the weariness of the crowd here and I know what I will do on its behalf. I myself will give satisfaction to its hunger for I am the heavenly bread of everlasting life...

«You may be thinking: 'Who is going to feed this crowd in the desert?' Well, my friends, you should know who I am: I am the one who fed Israel in the desert and gave them bread from heaven. I caused water to gush out of the rock in a dry land and, more still,obtained quails in profusion for them, for I am the heavenly bread of everlasting life...»

Increase the multitude of your mercies in us all, O Savior, and as you satisfied the multitude in the desert by your wisdom and nourished them by your power, so satisfy us all with your righteousness by strengthening us in our faith, O Lord. Feed us all, O Compassionate One, grant us your grace and forgiveness for our sins... for you alone are the Messiah, the only merciful One, O Heavenly Bread of everlasting life.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04 2009, 09:38

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 04 August 2009
Tuesday of the Eighteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. John Mary Vianney, Priest (1786-1859)

Saint Isaac the Syrian : "Why did you doubt?"

Book of Numbers 12:1-13.

While they were in Hazeroth, Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses on the pretext of the marriage he had contracted with a Cushite woman. They complained, "Is it through Moses alone that the LORD speaks? Does he not speak through us also?" And the LORD heard this. Now, Moses himself was by far the meekest man on the face of the earth. So at once the LORD said to Moses and Aaron and Miriam, "Come out, you three, to the meeting tent." And the three of them went. Then the LORD came down in the column of cloud, and standing at the entrance of the tent, called Aaron and Miriam. When both came forward, he said, "Now listen to the words of the LORD: Should there be a prophet among you, in visions will I reveal myself to him, in dreams will I speak to him; Not so with my servant Moses! Throughout my house he bears my trust: face to face I speak to him, plainly and not in riddles. The presence of the LORD he beholds. Why, then, did you not fear to speak against my servant Moses?" So angry was the LORD against them that when he departed, and the cloud withdrew from the tent, there was Miriam, a snow-white leper! When Aaron turned and saw her a leper, "Ah, my lord!" he said to Moses, "please do not charge us with the sin that we have foolishly committed! Let her not thus be like the stillborn babe that comes forth from its mother's womb with its flesh half consumed." Then Moses cried to the LORD, "Please, not this! Pray, heal her!"

Psalms 51(50):3-4.5-6.7.12-13.

Have mercy on me, God, in your goodness; in your abundant compassion blot out my offense.
Wash away all my guilt; from my sin cleanse me.
For I know my offense; my sin is always before me.
Against you alone have I sinned; I have done such evil in your sight That you are just in your sentence, blameless when you condemn.
True, I was born guilty, a sinner, even as my mother conceived me.
A clean heart create for me, God; renew in me a steadfast spirit.
Do not drive me from your presence, nor take from me your holy spirit.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 14:22-36.

Then he made the disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When it was evening he was there alone. Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore, was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it. During the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them, walking on the sea. When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified. "It is a ghost," they said, and they cried out in fear. At once (Jesus) spoke to them, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid." Peter said to him in reply, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw how (strong) the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" After they got into the boat, the wind died down. Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying, "Truly, you are the Son of God." After making the crossing, they came to land at Gennesaret. When the men of that place recognized him, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought to him all those who were sick and begged him that they might touch only the tassel on his cloak, and as many as touched it were healed.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Isaac the Syrian (7th century), monk near Mosul
Ascetical Discourses, 1st. series, n° 62

"Why did you doubt?"

Those whose hearts are set firm on the hope of faith lack for nothing, whatever it may be. Having nothing yet they possess all, as it is written: «Whatever you ask for in prayer, with faith, you will receive» and «The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all» (Mt 21,22; Phil 4,5-6).

The intellect is always looking for a way that will let it keep hold of what it has gained. But faith says: «Unless the Lord build the house, they labor in vain who build it» (127[126],1). It is never the case that someone who prays in faith lives merely by intellectual knowledge. That kind of knowledge praises fearfulness. A wise man has said: «He is blessed who is afraid in his heart.» But what does faith say? «Whoever is afraid in his heart starts to sink.» And again: «You did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear but you received a spirit of adoption» giving you the freedom of faith and hope in God (cf. Rom 8,15-24).

Doubt always follows fear...; fear and doubt manifest themselves in a seeking after causes and scrutinizing of facts, for the mind never finds its satisfaction. The soul is often exposed to unexpected events, difficulties, stumbling-blocks without number that place it in peril. But neither the mind nor the various styles of wisdom can give it any help whatsoever. Faith, on the other hand, is never overcome by any of these difficulties... Do you see the weakness of knowledge and the strength of faith?... Faith says: «Nothing is impossible to one who has faith. For all things are possible to God» (Mk 9,23; 10,27). O ineffable riches! O sea bearing such wealth on its waves, in the wondrous treasures with which it overflows through the power of faith!
Back to top Go down
Ailou
Administrator
 Administrator
Ailou

Date Joined : 2008-01-21

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04 2009, 10:24

may balak yata mag madre si elyn,updated nga praying
Back to top Go down
http://profiles.friendster.com/ailou
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06 2009, 12:53

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 05 August 2009
Wednesday of the Eighteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : Dedication of St. Mary Major (Mary of the Snows)

Julian of Vézelay : "O woman, great is your faith!"

Book of Numbers 13:1-2.25-33.14:1.26-29.34-35.

The LORD said to Moses, "Send men to reconnoiter the land of Canaan, which I am giving to the Israelites. You shall send one man from each ancestral tribe, all of them princes." After reconnoitering the land for forty days they returned, met Moses and Aaron and the whole community of the Israelites in the desert of Paran at Kadesh, made a report to them all, and showed them the fruit of the country. They told Moses: "We went into the land to which you sent us. It does indeed flow with milk and honey, and here is its fruit. However, the people who are living in the land are fierce, and the towns are fortified and very strong. Besides, we saw descendants of the Anakim there. Amalekites live in the region of the Negeb; Hittites, Jebusites and Amorites dwell in the highlands, and Canaanites along the seacoast and the banks of the Jordan." Caleb, however, to quiet the people toward Moses, said, "We ought to go up and seize the land, for we can certainly do so." But the men who had gone up with him said, "We cannot attack these people; they are too strong for us." So they spread discouraging reports among the Israelites about the land they had scouted, saying, "The land that we explored is a country that consumes its inhabitants. And all the people we saw there are huge men, veritable giants (the Anakim were a race of giants); we felt like mere grasshoppers, and so we must have seemed to them." At this, the whole community broke out with loud cries, and even in the night the people wailed. The LORD also said to Moses and Aaron: "How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the grumblings of the Israelites against me. Tell them: By my life, says the LORD, I will do to you just what I have heard you say. Here in the desert shall your dead bodies fall. Of all your men of twenty years or more, registered in the census, who grumbled against me, Forty days you spent in scouting the land; forty years shall you suffer for your crimes: one year for each day. Thus you will realize what it means to oppose me. I, the LORD, have sworn to do this to all this wicked community that conspired against me: here in the desert they shall die to the last man."

Psalms 106(105):6-7.13-14.21-22.23.

We have sinned like our ancestors; we have done wrong and are guilty.
Our ancestors in Egypt did not attend to your wonders. They did not remember your great love; they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But they soon forgot all he had done; they had no patience for his plan.
In the desert they gave way to their cravings, tempted God in the wasteland.
They forgot the God who saved them, who did great deeds in Egypt,
Amazing deeds in the land of Ham, fearsome deeds at the Red Sea.
He would have decreed their destruction, had not Moses, the chosen leader, Withstood him in the breach to turn back his destroying anger.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 15:21-28.

Then Jesus went from that place and withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman of that district came and called out, "Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is tormented by a demon." But he did not say a word in answer to her. His disciples came and asked him, "Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us." He said in reply, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But the woman came and did him homage, saying, "Lord, help me." He said in reply, "It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs." She said, "Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the table of their masters." Then Jesus said to her in reply, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed from that hour.

Commentary of the day :

Julian of Vézelay (c.1080-c.1160), Benedictine monk
Sermon 17 (SC 193, p. 373)

"O woman, great is your faith!"

«It is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs.» The woman took up his words and said: «Yes, Lord!» As though she were saying:... «As for me, I'm only asking for a little crumb off the table and from the hand of the generous master who 'gives food to all flesh' (ps 136[135],25). You treat the Jews to a meal like sons and that's why I'm begging you not to refuse a tiny crumb to your little Canaanite dog!»

Jesus said to her: «Oh woman, great is your faith!» Peter, he reproaches for his little faith (Mt 14,31); this woman, he admires for the greatness of hers. And she really does have great faith since she proclaims that the Word made flesh is the son of David and, certain of divine power, trusts in his ability to restore her absent daughter to health – and this by one act of his will.

And you, too, if your faith is great and it is that living faith the righteous live by (Rom 1,17) and not a dead faith from which the soul, that is to say charity, is lacking: you, too, will not only obtain the complete healing of your daughter, that is to say your soul, but will have the power to move mountains (cf. Mt 17,20).
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06 2009, 12:54

Ailou wrote:
may balak yata mag madre si elyn,updated nga praying

hahaha..unti na lng..malapit na... :D

justo mo po tigil na to pag-post dito ng Gospel :P silent no no no ohhhh tongue/dila
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06 2009, 12:55

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 06 August 2009
The Transfiguration of the Lord, feast

The Transfiguration of the Lord - Feast
Today the Church celebrates : St. Hormisdas, Pope (+ 523)

Saint John Damascene : "A high mountain apart"

Book of Daniel 7:9-10.13-14.

As I watched, Thrones were set up and the Ancient One took his throne. His clothing was snow bright, and the hair on his head as white as wool; His throne was flames of fire, with wheels of burning fire. A surging stream of fire flowed out from where he sat; Thousands upon thousands were ministering to him, and myriads upon myriads attended him. The court was convened, and the books were opened. As the visions during the night continued, I saw One like a son of man coming, on the clouds of heaven; When he reached the Ancient One and was presented before him, He received dominion, glory, and kingship; nations and peoples of every language serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, his kingship shall not be destroyed.

Psalms 97(96):1-2.5-6.9.

The LORD is king; let the earth rejoice; let the many islands be glad.
Cloud and darkness surround the Lord; justice and right are the foundation of his throne.
The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
The heavens proclaim God's justice; all peoples see his glory.
You, LORD, are the Most High over all the earth, exalted far above all gods.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 9:2-10.

After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no fuller on earth could bleach them. Then Elijah appeared to them along with Moses, and they were conversing with Jesus. Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, "Rabbi, it is good that we are here! Let us make three tents: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified. Then a cloud came, casting a shadow over them; then from the cloud came a voice, "This is my beloved Son. Listen to him." Suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone but Jesus alone with them. As they were coming down from the mountain, he charged them not to relate what they had seen to anyone, except when the Son of Man had risen from the dead. So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what rising from the dead meant.

Commentary of the day :

Saint John Damascene (c.675-749), monk, theologian, Doctor of the Church
Homily for the Feast of the Transfiguration; PG 96, 545

"A high mountain apart"

In former times, the smoke and tempest, darkness and fire on Mount Sinai (Ex 19,16f.) revealed God's extraordinary condescension, which showed that he who gave the Law was inaccessible... and that the Creator is made known by his works. But now everything is filled with light and radiance. For the architect and Lord of all things has come from the bosom of his Father. He has not left his own domain, namely his seat in the Father's breast, but has descended to be with us slaves. He has assumed the condition of a slave and become man in both nature and expres​sion(Phil 2,7) so that the God who is incomprehensible to man might become comprehensible. Through and in himself he manifests the splendor of the divine nature.

Formerly, God united man with his own grace. When he breathed the spirit of life into the man newly formed from the dust, when he gave him all the best things he had, he honored him with his own image and likeness (Gn 1,27). He gave him Eden as his home and made him near brother to the angels. But since we obscured and obliterated the divine image beneath the mud of our uncontrolled desires, the Compassionate One entered into a second form of communion with us, even more certain and exceptional than the first. While still remaining in the heights of his divinity he yet accepted what is beneath him, creating human nature within himself. He mingled the archetype with its image and today reveals his own beauty within it.

His face shone like the sun for he is identified in his divinity with immaterial light; hence he has become the Sun of justice (Mal 3,20). But his clothing became white as snow since they take on this glory on the surface, not by union, by relation and not by nature. And «a cloud covered them with its shadow», thus making available to the senses the shining radiance of the Spirit.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10 2009, 11:51

DAILY GOSPEL

Friday, 07 August 2009
Friday of the Eighteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Cajetan, Priest (1480-1547)

Saint John of the Cross : «Whoever loses their life for my sake will find it»

Book of Deuteronomy 4:32-40.

"Ask now of the days of old, before your time, ever since God created man upon the earth; ask from one end of the sky to the other: Did anything so great ever happen before? Was it ever heard of? Did a people ever hear the voice of God speaking from the midst of fire, as you did, and live? Or did any god venture to go and take a nation for himself from the midst of another nation, by testings, by signs and wonders, by war, with his strong hand and outstretched arm, and by great terrors, all of which the LORD, your God, did for you in Egypt before your very eyes? All this you were allowed to see that you might know the LORD is God and there is no other. Out of the heavens he let you hear his voice to discipline you; on earth he let you see his great fire, and you heard him speaking out of the fire. For love of your fathers he chose their descendants and personally led you out of Egypt by his great power, driving out of your way nations greater and mightier than you, so as to bring you in and to make their land your heritage, as it is today. This is why you must now know, and fix in your heart, that the LORD is God in the heavens above and on earth below, and that there is no other. You must keep his statutes and commandments which I enjoin on you today, that you and your children after you may prosper, and that you may have long life on the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you forever."

Psalms 77(76):12-13.14-15.16.21.

I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, your wonders of old I will remember.
I will recite all your works; your exploits I will tell.
Your way, O God, is holy; what god is as great as our God?
You alone are the God who did wonders; among the peoples you revealed your might.
With your arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah
You led your people like a flock under the care of Moses and Aaron.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 16:24-28.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father's glory, and then he will repay everyone according to his conduct. Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Commentary of the day :

Saint John of the Cross (1542-1591), Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Spiritual Canticle, 29,11 (©️Institute of Carmelite Studies)

«Whoever loses their life for my sake will find it»

«I lost myself and was found»

The one who walks in the love of God seeks neither gain nor reward, but seeks only to lose with the will all things and self for God: and this loss the lover judges to be a gain. Thus it is, as St. Paul asserts: «For me death is gain» [Phil.1:21], that is, my death for Christ is my gain, spiritually, of all things and of myself. Consequently the soul declares: I was found. The soul that does not know how to lose herself does not find herself but rather loses herself, as Our Lord teaches in the Gospel: «Whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it» (Mt 16:25).

Should we desire to interpret this verse more spiritually and in accord with what we are discussing here, it ought to be known that when a soul treading the spiritual road has reached such a point that she has lost all roads and natural methods in her communion with God, and no longer seeks him by reflections or forms or feelings or by any other way of creatures and the senses, but has advanced beyond them all and beyond all modes and manners, and enjoys communion with God in faith and love, then it is said that God is her gain, because she has certainly lost all that is not God and has truly lost herself.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10 2009, 11:53

DAILY GOSPEL

Saturday, 08 August 2009
Saturday of the Eighteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Dominic, Priest (1170-1221)

Saint Thomas More : «I do believe; help my unbelief!» (Mc 9,24)

Book of Deuteronomy 6:4-13.

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone! Therefore, you shall love the LORD, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength. Take to heart these words which I enjoin on you today. Drill them into your children. Speak of them at home and abroad, whether you are busy or at rest. Bind them at your wrist as a sign and let them be as a pendant on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your houses and on your gates. "When the LORD, your God, brings you into the land which he swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, that he would give you, a land with fine, large cities that you did not build, with houses full of goods of all sorts that you did not garner, with cisterns that you did not dig, with vineyards and olive groves that you did not plant; and when, therefore, you eat your fill, take care not to forget the LORD, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. The LORD, your God, shall you fear; him shall you serve, and by his name shall you swear.

Psalms 18(17):2-3.4.47.51.

He said: I love you, LORD, my strength,
LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, My God, my rock of refuge, my shield, my saving horn, my stronghold!
Praised be the LORD, I exclaim! I have been delivered from my enemies.
The LORD lives! Blessed be my rock! Exalted be God, my savior!
You have given great victories to your king, and shown kindness to your anointed, to David and his posterity forever.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 17:14-20.

When they came to the crowd a man approached, knelt down before him, and said, "Lord, have pity on my son, for he is a lunatic and suffers severely; often he falls into fire, and often into water. I brought him to your disciples, but they could not cure him." Jesus said in reply, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long will I be with you? How long will I endure you? Bring him here to me." Jesus rebuked him and the demon came out of him, and from that hour the boy was cured. Then the disciples approached Jesus in private and said, "Why could we not drive it out?" He said to them, "Because of your little faith. Amen, I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Thomas More (1478-1535), English statesman, martyr
Dialogue of Comfort against Tribulation

«I do believe; help my unbelief!» (Mc 9,24)

"Lord, increase our faith." Let us consider, by Christ's saying unto them, that, if we would not suffer the strength and fervor of our faith to wax lukewarm-or rather key-cold-and lose its vigor by scattering our minds abroad about so many trifling things that we very seldom think of the matters of our faith, we should withdraw our thought from the respect and regard of all worldly fantasies, and so gather our faith together into a little narrow room.

And like the little grain of mustard seed, which is by nature hot, we should set it in the garden of our soul, all weeds being pulled out for the better feeding of our faith. Then shall it grow, and so spread up in height that the birds-that is, the holy angels of heaven-shall breed in our soul, and bring forth virtues in the branches of our faith. And then, with the faithful trust that through the true belief of God's word we shall put in his promise, we shall be well able to command a great mountain of tribulation to void from the place where it stood in our heart, whereas with a very feeble faith and faint, we shall be scantly able to remove a little hillock. And therefore, as for the first conclusion, since we must of necessity before any spiritual comfort presuppose the foundation of faith, and since no man can give us faith but only God, let us never cease to call upon God for it.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10 2009, 11:56

DAILY GOSPEL

Sunday, 09 August 2009
Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein), co-patron of Europe (1891-1942) - Feast in Europe

Saint Cyril of Alexandria : "The bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world"

1st book of Kings 19:4-8.

and went a day's journey into the desert, until he came to a broom tree and sat beneath it. He prayed for death: "This is enough, O LORD! Take my life, for I am no better than my fathers." He lay down and fell asleep under the broom tree, but then an angel touched him and ordered him to get up and eat. He looked and there at his head was a hearth cake and a jug of water. After he ate and drank, he lay down again, but the angel of the LORD came back a second time, touched him, and ordered, "Get up and eat, else the journey will be too long for you!" He got up, ate and drank; then strengthened by that food, he walked forty days and forty nights to the mountain of God, Horeb.

Psalms 34(33):2-3.4-5.6-7.8-9.

I will bless the LORD at all times; praise shall be always in my mouth.
My soul will glory in the LORD that the poor may hear and be glad.
Magnify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, who answered me, delivered me from all my fears.
Look to God that you may be radiant with joy and your faces may not blush for shame.
In my misfortune I called, the LORD heard and saved me from all distress.
The angel of the LORD, who encamps with them, delivers all who fear God.
Learn to savor how good the LORD is; happy are those who take refuge in him.

Letter to the Ephesians 4:30-32.5:1-2.

And do not grieve the holy Spirit of God, with which you were sealed for the day of redemption. All bitterness, fury, anger, shouting, and reviling must be removed from you, along with all malice. (And) be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ. So be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us as a sacrificial offering to God for a fragrant aroma.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 6:41-51.

The Jews murmured about him because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven," and they said, "Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph? Do we not know his father and mother? Then how can he say, 'I have come down from heaven'?" Jesus answered and said to them, "Stop murmuring among yourselves. No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. It is written in the prophets: 'They shall all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Cyril of Alexandria (380-444), Bishop and Doctor of the Church
Commentary on St. Luke's Gospel, 22

"The bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world"

How could man, who remained riveted to the earth and subject to death, gain entry to immortality once more? His flesh had to become assimilated to the life-giving force in God. Now, God the Father's life-giving force is his Word, his only Son, and so it was he whom God sent to us as Savior and Redeemer...

If you put a breadcrumb into oil, water or wine, it at once soaks up their properties. If you place iron into contact with fire, it will shortly become full of its energy and, even though by nature it is only iron, will take on the appearance of fire. In the same way, then, God's life-giving Word, by uniting himself to the flesh he assumed, caused it to become life giving.

Did he not say: «Whoever believes in me has eternal life. I am the bread of life.» And again: «I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live for ever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh... Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.» So then, by eating the flesh of Christ, the Savior of us all, and drinking his blood we have life in ourselves, we become one with him, we remain in him and he in us.

Il fallait donc qu'il vienne en nous de la manière qui convient à Dieu, par l'Esprit Saint, et qu'il se mêle en quelque sorte à nos corps par sa sainte chair et par son sang précieux que nous recevons en bénédiction vivifiante comme dans du pain et du vin. En effet..., Dieu a usé de condescendance envers notre faiblesse et a mis toute la puissance de sa vie dans les éléments du pain et du vin qui sont ainsi dotés de l'énergie de sa propre vie. N'hésite donc pas à le croire, puisque le Seigneur lui-même a dit clairement : « Ceci est mon corps » et « Ceci est mon sang ».
Therefore it is for him to enter within us in a way fitting to God, by the Holy Spirit, and to mingle with our body, after a fashion, through the holy flesh and precious blood we receive as life-giving blessing as if in bread and wine. Indeed..., God has exercised his condescension towards our weakness and placed all his life-force into the elements of bread and wine, which are thus endowed with the spirit of his own life. So don't hesitate to believe in it for our Lord himself has clearly said: «This is my body» and «This is my blood».
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10 2009, 11:57

DAILY GOSPEL

Monday, 10 August 2009
Saint Lawrence, deacon and martyr - Feast

Today the Church celebrates : St. Lawrence, Deacon and Martyr (+258)

Saint Ambrose : "If it dies, it produces much fruit"

Second Letter to the Corinthians 9:6-10.

Consider this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written: "He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures forever." The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

Psalms 112(111):1-2.5-6.7-8.9.

Hallelujah! Happy are those who fear the LORD, who greatly delight in God's commands.
Their descendants shall be mighty in the land, generation upright and blessed.
All goes well for those gracious in lending, who conduct their affairs with justice.
They shall never be shaken; the just shall be remembered forever.
They shall not fear an ill report; their hearts are steadfast, trusting the LORD.
Their hearts are tranquil, without fear, till at last they look down on their foes.
Lavishly they give to the poor; their prosperity shall endure forever; their horn shall be exalted in honor.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 12:24-26.

Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Ambrose (c.340-397), Bishop of Milan and Doctor of the Church
On the duties of the clergy I, 84; II, 28; PL 16,84

"If it dies, it produces much fruit"

When Saint Lawrence saw Bishop Sixtus being led to martyrdom, he started to weep. It was not his Bishop's suffering that drew tears form his eyes but the fact that he was going to martyrdom without him. That was why he began shouting after him in these words: «Father, where are you going without your son? O holy priest, where are you going in such a hurry without your deacon? Yet you have never been accustomed to offer the sacrifice without a minister!... Test it out that you have chosen a good deacon: would you refuse to share the sacrifice of your blood with him to whom you have entrusted the administration of the Lord's blood, with whom you share the sacraments?»...

Then Pope Sixtus replied to Lawrence: «I have not forgotten you, my son, nor am I forsaking you. But to you I am leaving even greater combats to undergo. I am old and can only bear a light struggle. But you are young and there remains an even more glorious triumph against the tyrant to be won by you. You will be coming shortly; dry your tears; you will follow me in three days ...»

Three days later, Lawrence was arrested. He was asked to bring out the Church's wealth and treasures. He promised to do so. The following day he returned with some poor people. He was asked where the treasures were that he had to bring. He showed the poor people, saying: «These are the Church's treasures. What greater treasures could Christ have than those of whom he said: 'Whatever you have done to one of these little ones, you have done to me' (Mt 25,40)?» Lawrence showed forth those treasures and so he was the victor, for the persecutor had no desire to take them from him. But, in his fury, he caused him to be burned alive.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14 2009, 02:51

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 11 August 2009
Tuesday of the Nineteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Philomena, St. Clare, Virgin (1194-1253)

Saint Faustina Kowalska : "Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"

Book of Deuteronomy 31:1-8.

When Moses had finished speaking these words to all Israel, he said to them, "I am now one hundred and twenty years old and am no longer able to move about freely; besides, the LORD has told me that I shall not cross this Jordan. It is the LORD, your God, who will cross before you; he will destroy these nations before you, that you may supplant them. (It is Joshua who will cross before you, as the LORD promised.) The LORD will deal with them just as he dealt with Sihon and Og, the kings of the Amorites whom he destroyed, and with their country. When, therefore, the LORD delivers them up to you, you must deal with them exactly as I have ordered you. Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the LORD, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you." Then Moses summoned Joshua and in the presence of all Israel said to him, "Be brave and steadfast, for you must being this people into the land which the LORD swore to their fathers he would give them; you must put them in possession of their heritage. It is the LORD who marches before you; he will be with you and will never fail you or forsake you. So do not fear or be dismayed."

Deut 32:3-4.7.8.9.12.

For I will sing the LORD'S renown. Oh, proclaim the greatness of our God!
The Rock--how faultless are his deeds, how right all his ways! A faithful God, without deceit, how just and upright he is!
Think back on the days of old, reflect on the years of age upon age. Ask your father and he will inform you, ask your elders and they will tell you:
When the Most High assigned the nations their heritage, when he parceled out the descendants of Adam, He set up the boundaries of the peoples after the number of the sons of God;
While the LORD'S own portion was Jacob, His hereditary share was Israel.
The LORD alone was their leader, no strange god was with him.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 18:1-5.10.12-14.

At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father. What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray? And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray. In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938), religious Sister
Diary, § 244 (©️Marians of the Immaculate Conception)

"Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"

Now a gray, ordinary day has begun. The solemn hours of my perpetual vows have passed, but God's great grace has remained in my soul. I feel I am all God's; I feel I am his child; I feel I am wholly God's property. I experience this in a way that can be physically sensed. I am completely at peace about everything because I know it is my Spouse's business to look after me. I have forgotten myself completely.

My trust in his most merciful Heart has no limits. I am continuously united with him. It seems to me as though Jesus could not be happy without me, nor I without him. Although I understand that, being God, he is happy in himself and has no need of any creature, still, his goodness compels him to give himself to his creatures – and with a generosity beyond our understanding.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14 2009, 02:52

DAILY GOSPEL

Tuesday, 11 August 2009
Tuesday of the Nineteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Philomena, St. Clare, Virgin (1194-1253)

Saint Faustina Kowalska : "Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"

Book of Deuteronomy 31:1-8.

When Moses had finished speaking these words to all Israel, he said to them, "I am now one hundred and twenty years old and am no longer able to move about freely; besides, the LORD has told me that I shall not cross this Jordan. It is the LORD, your God, who will cross before you; he will destroy these nations before you, that you may supplant them. (It is Joshua who will cross before you, as the LORD promised.) The LORD will deal with them just as he dealt with Sihon and Og, the kings of the Amorites whom he destroyed, and with their country. When, therefore, the LORD delivers them up to you, you must deal with them exactly as I have ordered you. Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the LORD, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you." Then Moses summoned Joshua and in the presence of all Israel said to him, "Be brave and steadfast, for you must being this people into the land which the LORD swore to their fathers he would give them; you must put them in possession of their heritage. It is the LORD who marches before you; he will be with you and will never fail you or forsake you. So do not fear or be dismayed."

Deut 32:3-4.7.8.9.12.

For I will sing the LORD'S renown. Oh, proclaim the greatness of our God!
The Rock--how faultless are his deeds, how right all his ways! A faithful God, without deceit, how just and upright he is!
Think back on the days of old, reflect on the years of age upon age. Ask your father and he will inform you, ask your elders and they will tell you:
When the Most High assigned the nations their heritage, when he parceled out the descendants of Adam, He set up the boundaries of the peoples after the number of the sons of God;
While the LORD'S own portion was Jacob, His hereditary share was Israel.
The LORD alone was their leader, no strange god was with him.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 18:1-5.10.12-14.

At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father. What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray? And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray. In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938), religious Sister
Diary, § 244 (©️Marians of the Immaculate Conception)

"Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven"

Now a gray, ordinary day has begun. The solemn hours of my perpetual vows have passed, but God's great grace has remained in my soul. I feel I am all God's; I feel I am his child; I feel I am wholly God's property. I experience this in a way that can be physically sensed. I am completely at peace about everything because I know it is my Spouse's business to look after me. I have forgotten myself completely.

My trust in his most merciful Heart has no limits. I am continuously united with him. It seems to me as though Jesus could not be happy without me, nor I without him. Although I understand that, being God, he is happy in himself and has no need of any creature, still, his goodness compels him to give himself to his creatures – and with a generosity beyond our understanding.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14 2009, 02:53

DAILY GOSPEL

Wednesday, 12 August 2009
Wednesday of the Nineteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Jane Frances de Chantal (1572-1641)

Saint Caesarius of Arles : "Whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"

Book of Deuteronomy 34:1-12.

Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, the headland of Pisgah which faces Jericho, and the LORD showed him all the land-Gilead, and as far as Dan, all Naphtali, the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Western Sea, the Negeb, the circuit of the Jordan with the lowlands at Jericho, city of palms, and as far as Zoar. The LORD then said to him, "This is the land which I swore to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob that I would give to their descendants. I have let you feast your eyes upon it, but you shall not cross over." So there, in the land of Moab, Moses, the servant of the LORD, died as the LORD had said; and he was buried in the ravine opposite Beth-peor in the land of Moab, but to this day no one knows the place of his burial. Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were undimmed and his vigor unabated. For thirty days the Israelites wept for Moses in the plains of Moab, till they had completed the period of grief and mourning for Moses. Now Joshua, son of Nun, was filled with the spirit of wisdom, since Moses had laid his hands upon him; and so the Israelites gave him their obedience, thus carrying out the LORD'S command to Moses. Since then no prophet has arisen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face. He had no equal in all the signs and wonders the LORD sent him to perform in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh and all his servants and against all his land, and for the might and the terrifying power that Moses exhibited in the sight of all Israel.

Psalms 66(65):1-3.5.8.16-17.

For the leader. A song; a psalm.
Shout joyfully to God, all you on earth; sing of his glorious name; give him glorious praise.
Say to God: "How awesome your deeds! Before your great strength your enemies cringe.
Come and see the works of God, awesome in the deeds done for us.
Bless our God, you peoples; loudly sound his praise,
Come and hear, all you who fear God, while I recount what has been done for me.
I called to the Lord with my mouth; praise was upon my tongue.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 18:15-20.

If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother. If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector. Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again, (amen,) I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Commentary of the day :

Saint Caesarius of Arles (470-543), monk and Bishop
Sermon to the laity, no.59 (cf. SC 330, p. 43)

"Whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"

For our well-being and salvation all the Holy Scriptures warn us constantly and humbly to confess our sins, not only before God but also before a holy and godfearing man. This is what the Holy Spirit advises us to do through the mouth of James the apostle: «Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed» (5,16)..., and the psalmist says: «I confess my faults to the Lord and you took away the guilt of my sin» (Ps 32[31],5).

We are always wounded by our sins and, in the same way, we should always have recourse to the medicine of confession. For indeed, if God wants us to confess our sins, it is not because he would be unable to know what they are but because the devil wants to find something of which to accuse us before the judgement seat of the eternal Judge. That is why he would rather we thought more about excusing them than accusing ourselves of them. Our God, to the contrary, being good and merciful, wants us to confess them in this world so that we may not be ashamed because of them in the next. So if we confess them then he, on his part, shows himself to be merciful; if we acknowledge them then he forgives... As for ourselves, my brethren, we are really your spiritual physicians, seeking with all concern to heal your souls.
Back to top Go down
elyn
Ilaw ng Konek
 Ilaw ng Konek
elyn

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14 2009, 02:53

DAILY GOSPEL

Thursday, 13 August 2009
Thursday of the Nineteenth week in Ordinary Time

Today the Church celebrates : St. Radegundes, Queen of France (519-587)

Saint Francis of Assisi : "Seventy-seven times"

Book of Joshua 3:7-10.11.13-17

Then the LORD said to Joshua, "Today I will begin to exalt you in the sight of all Israel, that they may know I am with you, as I was with Moses. Now command the priests carrying the ark of the covenant to come to a halt in the Jordan when they reach the edge of the waters." So Joshua said to the Israelites, "Come here and listen to the words of the LORD, your God." He continued: "This is how you will know that there is a living God in your midst, who at your approach will dispossess the Canaanites, Hittites, Hivites, Perizzites, Girgashites, Amorites and Jebusites. The ark of the covenant of the LORD of the whole earth will precede you into the Jordan. When the soles of the feet of the priests carrying the ark of the LORD, the Lord of the whole earth, touch the water of the Jordan, it will cease to flow; for the water flowing down from upstream will halt in a solid bank." The people struck their tents to cross the Jordan, with the priests carrying the ark of the covenant ahead of them. No sooner had these priestly bearers of the ark waded into the waters at the edge of the Jordan, which overflows all its banks during the entire season of the harvest, than the waters flowing from upstream halted, backing up in a solid mass for a very great distance indeed, from Adam, a city in the direction of Zarethan; while those flowing downstream toward the Salt Sea of the Arabah disappeared entirely. Thus the people crossed over opposite Jericho. While all Israel crossed over on dry ground, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant of the LORD remained motionless on dry ground in the bed of the Jordan until the whole nation had completed the passage.

Psalms 114(113A):1-2.3-4.5-6.

When Israel came forth from Egypt, the house of Jacob from an alien people,
Judah became God's holy place, Israel, God's domain.
The sea beheld and fled; the Jordan turned back.
The mountains skipped like rams; the hills, like lambs of the flock.
Why was it, sea, that you fled? Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams? You hills, like lambs of the flock?

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 18:21-35.19:1.

Then Peter approaching asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times. That is why the kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who decided to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the accounting, a debtor was brought before him who owed him a huge amount. Since he had no way of paying it back, his master ordered him to be sold, along with his wife, his children, and all his property, in payment of the debt. At that, the servant fell down, did him homage, and said, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back in full.' Moved with compassion the master of that servant let him go and forgave him the loan. When that servant had left, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a much smaller amount. He seized him and started to choke him, demanding, 'Pay back what you owe.' Falling to his knees, his fellow servant begged him, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.' But he refused. Instead, he had him put in prison until he paid back the debt. Now when his fellow servants saw what had happened, they were deeply disturbed, and went to their master and reported the whole affair. His master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to. Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant, as I had pity on you?' Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers until he should pay back the whole debt. So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives his brother from his heart." When Jesus finished these words, he left Galilee and went to the district of Judea across the Jordan.

Commentary of the day :

Saint Francis of Assisi (1182-1226), founder of the Friar Minor
Letter to a Franciscan provincial (©️Classics of Western spirituality)

"Seventy-seven times"

May the Lord bless you (cf. Num 6:24a)! I speak to you, as I can, concerning the state of your soul. You should accept as a grace all those things which deter you from loving the Lord God and whoever has become an impediment to you, whether [they are] brothers or others... And love those who do these things to you. And do not expect anything different from them, unless it is something which the Lord shall have given to you...

And by this I wish to know if you love the Lord God and me, his servant and yours - if you have acted in this manner: that is, there should not be any brother in the world who has sinned, however much he may have possibly sinned, who, after he has looked into your eyes, would go away without having received your mercy, if he is looking for mercy. And if he were not to seek mercy, you should ask him if he wants mercy. And if he should sin thereafter a thousand times before your very eyes, love him more than me so that you may draw him back to the Lord. Always be merciful to brothers such as these. And announce this to the guardians [of our communities], as you can, that on your part you are resolved to act in this way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Daily Gospel Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Daily Gospel   The Daily Gospel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Daily Gospel
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next